JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Record Ratings plus a record crowd at Homebush for the current configuration of the Olympic Stadium.  There's been a number of 80,000+ crowds lately.  Socceroos, Lions game, 2 x Origin and the Man U game this weekend.

Wolverine was also featured.

Quick Review (lack of time this week to do more)

The Heat - strong opening which should see the film to at least 12m here in Australia (15m is possible but it will take some impressive holds in the coming weeks.)

Despicable Me 2 - will begin to wind down after it's impressive 4 week run at the box office.  So far it has banked 31m which is now 2nd for 2013 and just outside the top 50 of all time in AUD.  DM2 still appears to be on target for a total above 34m but it's final could end up anywhere between 33m and 37m depending on whether the film is more Ice Age 4 or Toy Story 3.

Pacfic Rim - While the opening is ok, i must say i am disappointed for this as I expected this film to open in the top spot with around 4 to 5m.  The opening is middling which could only be saved by strong holds.  however given the end of the holidays most films will likely drop hard including PR.  10m will be a stretch for PR unless it shows some long legs. 

Monsters University - like DM2 it has had a lucrative run at the box office, however this is where it ends for the animated prequel.  Monsters appears to be targeting around a 24m finish right now, which is short of the excellent total of 25.6m the original film made back in 2001.  While this result is still good for monsters, I must say that releasing this film as direct competition to Despicable Me 2 was a big mistake as I think MU could have made a lot more if it was the dominant animated film (for example a delay to the September holidays might have been a smart move... i guess the threat of piracy drives these situations these days and given the lack of holidays especially at this time of year it's something i feel we will see a lot more of in year's to come.  

Man of Steel - Has continued to bleed quite heavily from it's large opening.  Man of Steel has slipped very quickly from being the 4th largest opening of 2013 to 7th place overall.  in the end it will likely wind up in 8th when it's done as it appears monsters will surpass superman in the coming week.  Still the 23m to 24m likely total is good enough to beat Superman's last entry down under in Superman Returns which managed a meagre 14.1m in 2006.  Man of Steel is indeed Supermans biggest film here but in adjusted terms it is only good enough for 3rd place of all time superman films.  The original film still holds that title with 10.1m back in 1978 / 1979.

The Lone Ranger - has managed to make a half respectable 7.9m after it's dismal opening.  The Jury is still out whether the lone ranger can make it to 10m, but no matter which way you look at this big budget film it's a failure here.

World War Z - has continued it's impressive run.  it's has continued to dance with whether it will make to 20m or not.  however the past week or so, it has finally dropped off the pace it needed to hold to make it to 20m. Still 18 to 19m is nothing to laugh at and an excellent result for a zombie film in australia.  It is easily the largest Zombie film ever release here beating out last years Hotel Transylvania by over 6m.  Amongst live action Zombie films the gap is even larger with 2nd place belonging to Resident Evil - Afterlife some 14m or so lower.

Epic - has continued it's quiet little animated run in the face of the Monsters vs Minions onslaught at the top of the charts.  the animated fantasy adventure has made a reasonable 7.9m and should go close to 10m by the end of it's run.  This isn't a bad result given the competition this film faced.  it may have been smarter here to release the film prior to the holidays as a family alternative to the hangover 3 and fast 6.  Possibly then we could have been talking about a total closer to 15m.  either way the competition has been fierce this june holidays and 1 of the 3 animated films had the give.  Epic was the 3rd choice for most families.

The Great Gatsby - is finally winding up and is on target for a total over 28m.  At some points earlier in it's run it appears Gatsby would have the legs to pass 30m like Luhrmann's previous film which amassed an amazing 38m back in 2008.  The boost that film gained by being named after the country it was made in helped it to that impressive total (which failed to materialize around the rest of the world for that film).  While Gatsby isn't quite as big in australia, it's total elsewhere it's much more impressive especially in the USA which looks like winding up just under 150m.)

Fast and Furious 6 - will wind up short of the 27m.  an impressive result given it's the 6th film in the series, it was still able to gross the largest gross to date for the series (nearly 2m ahead of the 5th film).  no wonder the the studio is already planning a 7th.....

• Like 2

(for example a delay to the September holidays might have been a smart move... i guess the threat of piracy drives these situations these days and given the lack of holidays especially at this time of year it's something i feel we will see a lot more of in year's to come.

I can't imagine piracy being too big a deal for animated films.