JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

hmmm well i've seen reports that "Gravity" made only 650k or so on thursday (not sure if thats USD or AUD though)

Still not sure whether the 24/7 showings on saturday to monday will have an impact on the amount Gravity makes.  I also don't really see a lot of interest in the film here still.. 

still 4m is possible for the 5 day long weekend.  I'd say it's range is 3.5m to 5m at the moment which is pretty good for the film but given it's school holidays, a long weekend etc etc and frankly disappointing results so far this holiday.. - I just don't know i expected over 6m for some reason... (were my expectations too high ?)

$55m in Usa/$5.5m in Australia

true, but that is comparing a normal 3 day weekend vs a normal 4 day weekend (in australia).

the 4m approx opening i'm seeing here given it's OD and this is still a projection at this point, is a 5 day long weekend OW.   If it was comparable to the US, then it should be over 6m for the 5 day.

So that's about a 3.4m OW (in AUD). Is heading for around 4m for the long weekend. While strong it is still a little disappointing, especially against the USA. Still good legs could push this to 15m. (I'm thinking about 12m till we see how it travels this week.

So that's about a 3.4m OW (in AUD). Is heading for around 4m for the long weekend. While strong it is still a little disappointing, especially against the USA. Still good legs could push this to 15m. (I'm thinking about 12m till we see how it travels this week.

OW is pretty much on par with Oblivion.

Gravity might have opened around the same level as Oblivion but i feel it will earn a bit more than Oblivion

Reasons:

1. I get the feeling that Gravity will have better legs than Oblivion

2. Gravity has opened when most of the country is on holidays (i think only QLD is finished ATM)

Edited by Jajang

well we are less than 3 weeks from the next big blockbuster.... It's gonna  be a slow few weeks as i'm not seeing any breakouts unless gravity shows some legs in the coming weeks that is....

the god of thunder can't hit cinemas soon enough i think... 

What's everyone's thoughts on how big it can open here ?

For comparison:

Thor 1 opened with 5.4m (8.5m 6 day opening ~ australia day fell on the tuesday that year)...  

It also faced some serious competition that weekend as it opened against Fast and Furious 5 which opened above thor.

Given Thor: the dark world has virtually no competition and it's essentially opening in a dead zone for films around it... i think it can open massive here.....

i believe that 10m OW is possible but it's a big call... as it's double the first film (4 day)  though that films OW was really spread over 6 days unlike this normal 4 day opening so taking that into calcs brings it a little closer... it's the avengers factor that i'm not sure about here... to be honest i wouldn't be surprised by as much as 14m OW but i'm thinking just over 10m at the moment.

About Time should do alright.

No doubt. But opening 5m. It has been a while since we had a big opener. And the family films this holiday aren't as strong as usual. (Normally we would 1 film crossing 20m from the sept hols.

well we are less than 3 weeks from the next big blockbuster.... It's gonna  be a slow few weeks as i'm not seeing any breakouts unless gravity shows some legs in the coming weeks that is....

the god of thunder can't hit cinemas soon enough i think... 

What's everyone's thoughts on how big it can open here ?

For comparison:

Thor 1 opened with 5.4m (8.5m 6 day opening ~ australia day fell on the tuesday that year)...  

It also faced some serious competition that weekend as it opened against Fast and Furious 5 which opened above thor.

Given Thor: the dark world has virtually no competition and it's essentially opening in a dead zone for films around it... i think it can open massive here.....

i believe that 10m OW is possible but it's a big call... as it's double the first film (4 day)  though that films OW was really spread over 6 days unlike this normal 4 day opening so taking that into calcs brings it a little closer... it's the avengers factor that i'm not sure about here... to be honest i wouldn't be surprised by as much as 14m OW but i'm thinking just over 10m at the moment.

its in IMAX in Autralia right?

(still appalled that its not in US  :angry: )

Edited by Leyla