JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

14 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Not sure what to make of this. Maybe there’s a whole slew of people waiting till after Christmas. I’d hope so anyway. Here’s hoping for some good legs 👍

Same here. I’m thinking $65-$75m is still within reach, although could be optimistic.

Definitely not the numbers we were expecting - and it throws any ideas I had about legs out the window :dunce:

A lot of people I know are still planning/thinking about seeing it but haven't had the chance yet; and with Jan being as it is should still have a good run. Looking forward to seeing its performance

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

3D/4D - AU$8,334,183 (51.8% of Total)

OW - AU$12,934,792

Final - AU$114,101,012.

Surprisingly low 3D share. If any film is gonna get people watching it in 3D it’s this one. 

10 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

WED - AU$1,801,516

THU - AU$2,867,920

FRI - AU$3,091,204

SAT - AU$4,218,186

SUN - AU$4,102,010

Total - AU$16,080,837

3D/4D - AU$8,334,183 (51.8% of Total)

OW - AU$12,934,792

Final - AU$114,101,012.

Thanks for the breakdown! 

Anyone know when we can expect a Monday figure? 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:13 PM, lab276 said:

BillionWatch '22

The lowest grossing year that still made it to a billion is 2014, with $1074.8m, so for 2022 to finish with a billion it can't do much worse week on week vs 2014.

szwfOWz.png

The first weekend of 2014 had a top 10 gross of $23.4m whereas this year we've started with $13.4m. So we're not off to a great start. I wouldn't say never, but the release schedule is fairly barren let's be honest. We're gonna need pretty much all movies to really pull through to get there.

hW9gpbA.png

On 2/22/2022 at 10:39 AM, lab276 said:

Billionwatch '22

The two weekends just gone by compared with last year

24ZQr0o.png vs HypohkT.png

So that's +59.9% and +105.1%, and this week which was +161.6%. So those are some really nice jumps. The weekend cumulative top 10 is ~+33% on last year and if 2022 can maintain that lead for the rest of the year we'll end up with about $800m total box office. Compared with 2014 (the lowest grossing billion dollar year), we're about 30% down. If that is maintained 2022 will end up around $750m. At the moment I would still say reaching a billion is unlikely, but it's not as out of reach as I first thought.

That said, the fourth quarter of this year looks pretty weak compared to 2021, I don't think the one-two-three-four-five punch of Eternals, Bond, Venom, Dune and Spider-Man is going to be repeated. Apart from Avatar, what is even coming out then?

Belated BillionWatch'22 update. Through the same weekend the cumulative top 10 weekend gross is 543.4m vs 320.6m last year a nice 69% jump. Last year the overall box office was 605.2m, if that jump is maintained then 2022 will end up with 1025m! Although I have a feeling we'll wind up a bit short. Avatar (so far anyway) isn't doing as well as Spider-Man last year, and that's gonna hamper the last couple weeks of the year. It also doesn't look like the Boxing Day openers are gonna do as well as last year either. Puss in Boots looks great to me, but apparently it's no Sing 2.

SznTCYt.png vs 9B57oBY.png

Looking at it a different way, the top 50 gross this year up to Dec 15 is 734.2m vs 752.7m for the full year 2014. That's very similar, and it's on the back of Top Gun Maverick, Thor and Minions overperforming. Indeed the top seven, soon to be eight, movies of this year were bigger than anything in 2014. But as with the general trend even before the pandemic, it's been very top heavy. The number 50 movie this year has only made 3.07m compared with 6.98m in 2014. And that makes a huge difference below the top 50.

It looks like we're gonna be close but no cigar. Say 950m total. Next year though? Here's hoping Mario does gangbusters.

It's not like there's a dearth next year though, just up to April, here's what looks interesting to me; Puss in Boots, Blueback, The Fablemans, M3gan, Operation Fortune, Marcel the Shell, Tar, Titanic Reissue, Mario Bros, Suzume (new Makoto Shinkai). Not so bad IMO.

$21.76m opening week

$23.6m total, incl. 14/12 previews

So it seems Mon-Wed added another $7m.. I’m actually pretty happy with that. Yes, it’s school holidays, but only just starting here in NSW

Bring on the next 5 weeks of holidays 😬😬

Edited by Robertron

6 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Yeah, good weekdays.

Given it’s Christmas this weekend, I think the New Year weekend will be the true test of the legs we’re in for. 

That said, very curious to see how the upcoming Monday and Tuesday public holidays play out. 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:59 PM, BlueCore said:

Definitely not the numbers we were expecting - and it throws any ideas I had about legs out the window :dunce:

A lot of people I know are still planning/thinking about seeing it but haven't had the chance yet; and with Jan being as it is should still have a good run. Looking forward to seeing its performance

17 minutes ago, Robertron said:

Given it’s Christmas this weekend, I think the New Year weekend will be the true test of the legs we’re in for. 

That said, very curious to see how the upcoming Monday and Tuesday public holidays play out. 

Anecdotally, I also know people who aren't seeing it till after Boxing Day. Like the joke about Avatar was that it had no cultural impact and had no superfans (at least compared to Marvel/DC whatever) to pull a huge OW. Maybe that's what's happening after all? All the normies who liked the first movie but aren't stans or anything are just waiting around?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Anecdotally, I also know people who aren't seeing it till after Boxing Day. Like the joke about Avatar was that it had no cultural impact and had no superfans (at least compared to Marvel/DC whatever) to pull a huge OW. Maybe that's what's happening after all? All the normies who liked the first movie but aren't stans or anything are just waiting around?

I think that’s what all of us here are really hoping for 😬😬😬