Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Jim was talking about 60fps years ago, but right now it seems like he is got to go with PJ's 48fps. The problem is that, Jim and Fox fears that if they shot AVATAR sequels at 60fps, there's no clean way to play the movie at 24fps in some theaters! Simply they think 60fps could be too much of a gamble.

Like for Avatar theaters were scrambling for 3D screens, I think if Cameron announces soon he will shoot in 60 fps, theaters will make the adjustments. They have 3 years to do so.

• Like 2

Like for Avatar theaters were scrambling for 3D screens, I think if Cameron announces soon he will shoot in 60 fps, theaters will make the adjustments. They have 3 years to do so.

The problem is, that the current playback gear can't do 450 Mb/s at 60 fps. But the gear manufacturers say they can do at 500 Mb/s, but the studios in reality have to settle for less, due to the bit-rate bottlenecks in various systems.

• Founder / Operator

The problem is the amount of division over 48 FPS. There's a reason WB stayed mum about the box office returns for Hobbit in HFR, after all. On the flip side, they're giving it another shot in December. I just don't think audiences are going to embrace HFR the way some of these guys are hoping. Not anytime soon, at least. Maybe with non-feature films.

Filmmakers can keep trying to fix/improve the technology as much as they want, but it's only a band-aid on a larger problem. I'm all for pushing innovation with movies that call for it, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be the focus.

Edited by ShawnMR

The problem is the amount of division over 48 FPS. There's a reason WB stayed mum about the box office returns for Hobbit in HFR, after all. On the flip side, they're giving it another shot in December. I just don't think audiences are going to embrace HFR the way some of these guys are hoping. Not anytime soon, at least. Maybe with non-feature films.

Filmmakers can keep trying to fix/improve the technology as much as they want, but it's only a band-aid on a larger problem. I'm all for pushing innovation with movies that call for it, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be the focus.

48fps didn't work for middle earth, yes, but it might work with AVATAR .

Btw, it's quite remarkable how much picture you can get for a few hundred bucks (well, Euros) nowadays. I didn't want to spend a fortune on the TV as it's mainly for playing games. I'm planing to buy a 3D projector rather soonish (in time for the Hobbit extended edition) - that's the real deal .  B)

Edited by Elessar

The problem is the amount of division over 48 FPS. There's a reason WB stayed mum about the box office returns for Hobbit in HFR, after all.

Wrong movie for HFR. I really liked HFR but it's fantastic only for digital sets and creatures, which is what Avatar is. Seriously, if Cameorn shoots it in HFR it's going to be insane.Like unbelievably insane.

Edited by fishnets