baumer

Under the Skin (2014)

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

If it helps, it'll stand the test of time better than 99% of last year's films.

It's certainly stuck with me even though I'm ambivalent about it .

It's very atmospheric and a very good looking movie with two excellent stand out scenes.  The beach scene is one of the most haunting and horrific I've ever seen and the part with her talking to the disfigured lonely young man was very moving. 

As a film though it doesn't hang together for me. It's episodic, meandering and at times too repetitive so that I don't think her arc builds sufficiently to be believe in her change of perception and desire to experience life as a human. The play out of the ending felt like cheap shock horror that belonged to a another lesser movie.

Yeah... Still arguably the most memorable film of 2014 for me. Not my favorite though. But, the images just keep coming back to me.

This. The images and the soundtrack too. And ScarJo's best performance in my opinion. One for the ages.

• Like 2