Plain Old Tele

Mystery Science Theater 3000: A Celebration

This is a thread to celebrate the glory and majesty and hilarity of MST3K, a tiny little show that achieved some level of success and infamy in the late '80s and 90s. I know, I know, that's before most of y'all were born, so here's a quick primer:

A janitor who's working for some evil scientists gets shot into space. To pass the time, he built some robots to keep him company; meanwhile, his evil bosses try to destroy his brain by forcing him to watch the worst movies they can find... and to keep his sanity he (and his robots) crack jokes and talk shit back at the movies. As the (revised original) opening theme song so perfectly put it:

WIRED has an in-depth article and interviews with the creators, if you're interested in how it all came together. Or just search Youtube... at its best, MST3K was one of the most hilarious and off-beat things on TV.
Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

I discovered the show during the first Sci-Fi season and was instantly hooked. I would set my alarm every Saturday morning for 9 AM because that's the only time it aired (bastards). Forced my mother to drive home hours early from our vacation down on the Jersey Shore so I could make sure I was home in time to watch the series finale. This show (and Seinfeld) shaped so much my humor as a young lad. I introduced my girlfriend to it last year and we spent weeks watching various episodes. So glad it's all readily available on Youtube.

It's hard to rank my top 5 episodes but:

1. Mitchell (Bought the DVD and watched it countless times with my best friends.)

2. Space Mutiny

3. Final Sacrifice

4. Hobgoblins

5. Oh man....I'll just go Manos.

• Like 1