BadAtGender

Tuesday Numbers

Cameron Diaz has proven to be a significant draw when it comes to Romantic Comedies. She'll probably open Sex Tape too despite the competition. 

Considering Tammy will bring in most of the female/comedy audience, I could see Sex Tape performing okay ($75-80 million), maybe skidding past $100 million

Considering Tammy will bring in most of the female/comedy audience, I could see Sex Tape performing okay ($75-80 million), maybe skidding past $100 million

Either of those results would be fantastic as it is also poised to do very well overseas.

The last 13 movies that Cameron Diaz has starred in have a "Rotten" score on Rotten Tomatoes.  13 in a row, including TOW.  Maybe studio executives believe that the way to make money off of her is to turn her into a female version of Adam Sandler from now on - I have no idea.  That is where the money seems to be, though - so who knows.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/cameron_diaz/

The last 13 movies that Cameron Diaz has starred in have a "Rotten" score on Rotten Tomatoes.  13 in a row, including TOW.  Maybe studio executives believe that the way to make money off of her is to turn her into a female version of Adam Sandler from now on - I have no idea.  That is where the money seems to be, though - so who knows.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/cameron_diaz/

And this is why critics don't matter at all.  Who gives a shit what they say?  They don't pay to see a movie.  

• Like 6

Critics matter somewhat, especially with movie-going audiences over the age of 40 who do not show up on opening weekend.  I have a hard time believing that movies like Hunger Games, Gravity, Frozen, The Dark Knight, Captain America 2, etc. would do as well as they did if they had a 25% approval rating on RT instead of a 90%.  The most TOW is going to make is 70-80 million domestic.

I guess there are a few exceptions with movies like Growns Ups or Transformers movies doing very well with terrible reviews, but as a general rule I think terrible reviews really hurt a movie's legs.  Especially if it is "trying (i.e. faking)" to aim for an adult audience, like TOW.  I will be shocked if TOW shows good legs with females over the age of 25 over the next 2 weekends.  Good marketing can give it a strong opening 3 days, but it can't hide its true nature for long.

Edited by Ando81