#ED

Tuesday Actuals 5/6/14: TASM2 - 6.24M

Not really because new openers usually don't jump high at all

New opener vs holdovers. The nearest comparison - Cap2 jumped 12% while everything else jumped 25-32% on Tuesday.

In recent weeks even new openers have managed double-digits (like, as you pointed out, CAP2). That didn't use to be the case -- openers had single-digit gains or stayed flat. I'm not saying this jump is bad for TASM2... not at all. But if everyone else is jumping 30-40% and it jumps 22% then it's basically following along what other openers have done.

• Like 4

Cap 2 is looking to finish with a 2.8x multiplier. Looking good.

Really happy about the box office for Cap 2. Never thought it would sniff 600m ww let alone having a shot at 700m.

• Like 1

The S is for HOPE.

:)

I'm not on board with Batman vs. Superman yet. I really wanted Superman to get his own sequel.  I wanted to see some Daily Planet action.  Oh well. I'll probably get on board after the first trailer.

In recent weeks even new openers have managed double-digits (like, as you pointed out, CAP2). That didn't use to be the case -- openers had single-digit gains or stayed flat. I'm not saying this jump is bad for TASM2... not at all. But if everyone else is jumping 30-40% and it jumps 22% then it's basically following along what other openers have done.

True, but all the openers didn't open up to 91M. I think it's very hard to make that a fair comparison. 

:)

I'm not on board with Batman vs. Superman yet. I really wanted Superman to get his own sequel.  I wanted to see some Daily Planet action.  Oh well. I'll probably get on board after the first trailer.

Everyone will get on board after the first trailer. Zach Snyder makes the best trailers.

2.6 not 2.8

I fully expect Cap 2 to drag over to about 260M+ over the Summer. 

Edited by #ED
  • Like 3

TASM2 is having better dailies than Thor 2 (apart from the first Monday of Thor 2 which was a holiday), and has slightly better increases and drops compared to Thor 2 so far. Both movies are also facing an R-Rated comedy on the second weekend. TASM2 should surpass Thor 2's 36.5M 2nd weekend, but will probably fall short of Cap 2's 41M 2nd weekend.

2.6 would only be $247m.  Cap should be at around $244m after this w/e. Closer to 2.7 with $256.5m.  Pretty good considering it had a $10.1m Thursday. 

But will it get there? Will be a struggle imo, with the slate of big new movies to follow.