lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It looks like a pregnant alien to be honest. It's just way out there.

Again, it has potential to be hilarious but not much more than that.

The whole dark knight aspect could be hilarious, but it'll probably be more boring then anything.

Comicbook.com has a picture of the toy version of Alpha 5, and it is not an improvement in my eyes compared to the IGN concept art.  The toy appears to give Alpha an even longer coiled neck than the concept art, making him appear even less like the original TV show version.  I expect the toy version of Alpha to not sell well, and sit on shelves.

2 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

Comicbook.com has a picture of the toy version of Alpha 5, and it is not an improvement in my eyes compared to the IGN concept art.  The toy appears to give Alpha an even longer coiled neck than the concept art, making him appear even less like the original TV show version.  I expect the toy version of Alpha to not sell well, and sit on shelves.

The sole reason of the existence of this movie is to sell toys...If they cannot even deliver that...

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin
add

So, with Sony's Life now set for a March 24 date, I doubt Lionsgate will delay Power Rangers at this point (moving it up to an earlier date appears nearly impossible at this point).  Delaying it now would only help to give the impression that they would be delaying it because Lionsgate thinks the movie is awful, after the marketing materials now clearly say March 24, 2017, so I think they are stuck with this date.

Some of the current posts in the Rangerboard thread about the movie are becoming more and more critical of those who dislike the choices we have seen, whether it is for the characters or the Ranger suits and zord designs.  "It's a Power Rangers movie, and has all the elements of a Power Rangers movie," is a short summary of one of the posts I saw.  Another mentioned the like-to-dislike ratio on Youtube for the teaser trailer.  And there is the "making it for a niche audience won't sell" attitude as well.  I continue to have a worrisome feeling about this movie, since I feel if Lionsgate did have more confidence in this film, they would not have let something as significant as the Megazord be revealed via a quick toy reveal.  I hope the movie does not end up being another Fantastic Four 2015.

4 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

So, with Sony's Life now set for a March 24 date, I doubt Lionsgate will delay Power Rangers at this point (moving it up to an earlier date appears nearly impossible at this point).  Delaying it now would only help to give the impression that they would be delaying it because Lionsgate thinks the movie is awful, after the marketing materials now clearly say March 24, 2017, so I think they are stuck with this date.

Some of the current posts in the Rangerboard thread about the movie are becoming more and more critical of those who dislike the choices we have seen, whether it is for the characters or the Ranger suits and zord designs.  "It's a Power Rangers movie, and has all the elements of a Power Rangers movie," is a short summary of one of the posts I saw.  Another mentioned the like-to-dislike ratio on Youtube for the teaser trailer.  And there is the "making it for a niche audience won't sell" attitude as well.  I continue to have a worrisome feeling about this movie, since I feel if Lionsgate did have more confidence in this film, they would not have let something as significant as the Megazord be revealed via a quick toy reveal.  I hope the movie does not end up being another Fantastic Four 2015.

Nah. The toy sales figures are way more important than your feeling of being spoiled by the early Megazord reveal. Power Rangers is always about the toys. Always.

3 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Nah. The toy sales figures are way more important than your feeling of being spoiled by the early Megazord reveal. Power Rangers is always about the toys. Always.

I know that very well, and that is of course the reason movie toys are out now, rather than closer to the movie's release date.  I know it is all about Bandai and their toy line for this property, and has been for many years.  In fact, I just posted in the other thread about the Life release date on March 24, that Power Rangers movie toys would be sitting on shelves for over six months if Lionsgate delayed the movie's release date to August 2017.  After I found the Super Megaforce and Dino Super Charge finales for the TV show disappointing, I am not expecting much from this movie, even if it is Lionsgate in charge here and not Saban Brands.

1 hour ago, Outrageous! said:

I know that very well, and that is of course the reason movie toys are out now, rather than closer to the movie's release date.  I know it is all about Bandai and their toy line for this property, and has been for many years.  In fact, I just posted in the other thread about the Life release date on March 24, that Power Rangers movie toys would be sitting on shelves for over six months if Lionsgate delayed the movie's release date to August 2017.  After I found the Super Megaforce and Dino Super Charge finales for the TV show disappointing, I am not expecting much from this movie, even if it is Lionsgate in charge here and not Saban Brands.

"  even if it is Lionsgate in charge here and not Saban Brands. "   It is not like Lionsgate is even better LOL. Look at their records this year...

11 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

"  even if it is Lionsgate in charge here and not Saban Brands. "   It is not like Lionsgate is even better LOL. Look at their records this year...

i agree, power rangers is at best a $75,000,000 movie, at worst the budget is  a $35,000,000 movie, that bs about 150 is bs, i am sure lionsgate never thought this kind of interest was in power rangers, they could have done a space opera prequel to power rangers about zordon, but they wanted to go the young CW adult route, with power rangers at the end and majority of the movie is anti bullying.... Power Rangers is Star Wars for kids, all they had to do was take out the camp and make it as serious as star wars

Edited by Gokira2012

4 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

i agree, power rangers is at best a $75,000,000 movie, at worst the budget is  a $35,000,000 movie, that bs about 150 is bs, i am sure lionsgate never thought this kind of interest was in power rangers, they could have done a space opera prequel to power rangers about zordon, but they wanted to go the young CW adult route, with power rangers at the end and majority of the movie is anti bullying.... Power Rangers is Star Wars for kids, all they had to do was take out the camp and make it as serious as star wars

LMAO Lionsgate gave Gods of Egypt for fucks sake a 140M budget.  I'm pretty sure 150M for a budget wouldn't be implausible.

• Like 4

I think this upcoming March might be the most interesting month of 2017. Assuming they don't all cannibalize each other, I see potential for...

Over $140 million weekend:

Beauty and the Beast

Over $70 million weekend: 

Kong: Skull Island

Over $50 million weekend:

Logan

Power Rangers (although I am hoping it's closer to that $70 million mark / I know I am being optimistic)

Over $30 Million weekend:

Life

Over #25 million weekend:

Ghost in the Shell

Boss Baby

Comicbook.com has a new poster of the Saber Tooth Tiger zord, with the other zords obscured by fog.  Most posters in the Ranger fandom feel it looks better than the previous toy designs we have seen.  Also, there is another "Repulsa Takes Over" event on the Power Rangers movie Twitter account today.  While we wait for a new trailer for Power Rangers from Lionsgate, the competition, notably Spider-man: Homecoming, releasing months after Power Rangers, is ready to release a trailer tonight, to give you some perspective.