Films

Boxoffice Forums Top 100 Animated Movies Of All Time

I could be wrong but I am sure there hasn't been a top 100 animated movies of all time before so let's do one. Any animation released in cinemas in any country is eligible. Please though if it is a film not released in North America or there are more than 1 film of it, put the year next to it. You can submit a list of 25 minimum but the more films on your lists, the more points the films will getI am also going to combine this with the top 25 disney characters which you can vote for in this thread or the other one (http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14548-top-25-disney-animated-characters-of-all-time/) Preliminary deadline is 6th July for top 100 animated movies and 4th June for top 25 disney animated charactersHere are some lists for inspirationhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_filmshttp://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/top-25-animated-filmshttp://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/06/25/top-25-animated-movies-of-all-timehttp://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-animated-movieshttp://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-100-best-animated-movieshttp://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=animation&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=featurehttp://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_animation_movies/?category=2Numbers 1-100 so you don't have to type them all out1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.15.16.17.18.19.20.21.22.23.24.25.26.27.28.29.30.31.32.33.34.35.36.37.38.39.40.41.42.43.44.45.46.47.48.49.50.51.52.53.54.55.56.57.58.59.60.61.62.63.64.65.66.67.68.69.70.71.72.73.74.75.76.77.78.79.80.81.82.83.84.85.86.87.88.89.90.91.92.93.94.95.96.97.98.99.100.

Edited by 10 Things I Hate About You

1.Finding Nemo
2.The Lion King
3.Kung Fu Panda
4.The LEGO Movie
5.Spirited Away
6.Wall-E
7.Beauty and the Beast
8.South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
9.Persepolis
10.The Iron Giant
11.Grave of Fireflies
12.Pinocchio
13.Monster's Inc
14.Bambi
15.Princess Monoke
16.The Brave Little Toaster

17.Up
18.Shrek
19.The Incredibles
20.Dumbo
21.Waltz with Bashir

22.Aladdin
23.The Jungle Book
24.Coraline
25.Tarzan
26.The Nightmare Before Christmas
27.Mary and Max

28.The Prince of Egypt

29.Toy Story
30.Who Framed Roger Rabbit (only so low because not a full blown animation)
31.Fantasia
32.Yellow Submarine
33.Metropolis
34.My Neighbor Totoro
35.How to Train Your Dragon
36.Steamboat Willie
37.The Secret of NIMH
38.Wreck-It Ralph
39.Kung Fu Panda 2
40.Lady and the Tramp
41.The Secret World of Arrietty

42.The Illusionist
43.Howl's Moving Castle
44.Mary Poppins (Not a full blown animation)
45.Fantastic Mr Fox
46.Ratatouille
47.Happy Feet
48.Paprika
49.Rango
50.Fritz the Cat
51.Sleeping Beauty
52.When the Wind Blows
53.Chicken Run
54.Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
55.The Triplets of Belleville
56.Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
57.101 Dalmatians
58.Toy Story 2
59.Cinderella
60.Tangled
61.Castle in the Sky
62.Ponyo
63.The Corpse Bride
64.Despicable Me
65.Mulan
66.The Simpson's Movie
67.The Adventures of Tintin
68.The Little Mermaid
69.Akira
70.The Land Before Time
71.Peter Pan
72.Frozen
73.Peter Pan
74.Lilo and Stitch
75.Cinderella
76.Antz
77.Arthur Christmas
78.James and the Giant Peach
79.Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
80.Alice in Wonderland
81.Ice Age
82.The Pirates! Band of Misfits
83.Puss in Boots
84.Toy Story 3
85.Monster House
86.Shrek 2
87.Bolt
88.ParaNorman
89.Anastasia
90.Hercules
91.My Dog Tullip
92.Lady and the Tramp
93.Monsters vs Aliens
94.Surf's Up
95.The Princess and the Frog
96.The Polar Express
97.Brother Bear
98.Frankenweenie
99.Winnie the Pooh
100.The Last Unicorn

• Like 1

On the first link, that was over 1 and 1/2 years ago so I think its ok for another one. Also films like MU, Frozen and the Lego movie to name a few were not eligible then. That was also only a top 25 and no massive write up like i am planningOn the second link, I am combining both lists in an animation double featureThanks for submitting a list the panda. Looking forward to seeing more Edited by 10 Things I Hate About You

Aw man Films, I specifically said that I was going to do this one... and you agreed to it.

Oops, I completely forgot. If you want, we can do the countdown and counting up togetherOnce again I am really sorry Edited by 10 Things I Hate About You

I did a top 25 because there just aren't 100 great animated films. Any halfway decent animated film will make the list. Also, it'll be very hard to name 100 films.

However, I am willing to give it a shot. But, before I do, I need to ask 2 questions.

1: Do animated shorts count? Panda has Steamboat Willie on his list, which makes it easier to get to 100. But, are we allowed to use animated shorts?

2. Before I invest the time on making a list, are you definitely going to show the results, even if you get a low voter turn out? Meaning, if only 5-6 people vote, and only 2 of those have a top 100 listed (while the rest list about 35-40 animated films), are you still going to give out the results?

• Like 1

I did a top 25 because there just aren't 100 great animated films. Any halfway decent animated film will make the list. Also, it'll be very hard to name 100 films.However, I am willing to give it a shot. But, before I do, I need to ask 2 questions.1: Do animated shorts count? Panda has Steamboat Willie on his list, which makes it easier to get to 100. But, are we allowed to use animated shorts?2. Before I invest the time on making a list, are you definitely going to show the results, even if you get a low voter turn out? Meaning, if only 5-6 people vote, and only 2 of those have a top 100 listed (while the rest list about 35-40 animated films), are you still going to give out the results?

1. Yes but you're allowed 10 maximum2. Definitely but I need 5 lists minimum of any number over 25. And if you submit a list, the pandas list, my list and a few more so it will happen.

I haven't even seen 100 good animated movies, let alone great and I'm a big fan of the genre. So, pass on this :(

You can do a list of 25 minimum if you like Edited by 10 Things I Hate About You

1. Yes but you're allowed 10 maximum2. Definitely but I need 5 lists minimum of any number over 25. And if you submit a list, the pandas list, my list and a few more so it will happen.You can do a list of 25 minimum if you like

Are live action/ animated hybrids like Mary Poppins and Song of the South eligible?

Are live action/ animated hybrids like Mary Poppins and Song of the South eligible?

Yes again but I'm going to put a limit for 15 films maxSo you can have75 computer/traditional animated films minimum15 hybrids maximum10 short films maximum

Yes again but I'm going to put a limit for 15 films maxSo you can have75 computer/traditional animated films minimum15 hybrids maximum10 short films maximum

Just some suggestions based on what I would have done:

I don't think short films should count because they're technically not movies and we never could short films in the top film countdowns. 

Hybrid films I'm kind of iffy about too because it can really vary how much "animation" there is, like with Space Jam where there wasn't much besides the Looney Tunes characters. 

100 films might be too many for most people and it might discourage people from posting lists because it's too much effort. Do you have a scoring system yet? I think #1-100, #2-99, #3-98 etc. doesn't work well because there isn't much of a point difference between #1 or #7 in points, but the top spot should get a big bonus since it is the person all time favorite.

I would have done something like:

1:   55

2:   40

3:   36

4-5: 33

6-7: 30

8-10: 28

11-15: 25

16-20: 22

26-30: 20

31-35: 18

36-40: 15

45-50: 13

51-60: 10

61-70: 8

71+: 5

Just some suggestions  :)

• Like 1

My Vote:

[*]Peter Pan [*]101 Dalmatians [*]Pinocchio [*]Aladdin [*]Robin Hood (Disney) [*]The Nightmare Before Christmas [*]Enchanted [*]Tangled [*]The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh [*]Dumbo [*]Beauty and the Beast [*]Ducktales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp [*]Cinderella [*]Lady and the Tramp [*]Sleeping Beauty [*]Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs [*]Mickey’s Christmas Carol [*]The Princess and the Frog [*]Wreck-It Ralph [*]The Fox and the Hound [*]Bambi [*]The Lion King [*]The Little Mermaid [*]Who Framed Roger Rabbit [*]Frozen [*]Toy Story [*]Flowers and Trees (Disney short) [*]The Three Little Pigs (Disney short) [*]The Wise Little Hen (Disney short- first appearance of Donald Duck) [*]Monsters Inc. [*]Toy Story 3 [*]The Jungle Book [*]Der Fuehrer’s Face (Disney short) [*]Finding Nemo [*]The Tortoise and the Hare (Disney short) [*]The Incredibles [*]Toy Story 2 [*]Song of the South [*]Monsters University [*]Up [*]Mary Poppins [*]Wall-E [*]Ratatouille [*] The Old Mill (Disney short) [*]The Ugly Duckling (Disney short) [*]Fantasia [*]Private Pluto (Disney short) [*]Paperman (Disney short) [*]The Country Cousin (Disney short) [*]Brave [*]Alice in Wonderland [*]The Sword in the Stone [*]The Great Mouse Detective [*]The Rescuers [*]Winnie the Pooh (2011) [*]Cars [*]Shrek Forever After [*]An American Tale: Fievel Goes West [*]The Simpsons Movie [*]Jetsons: The Movie [*]Space Jam [*]The Land Before Time [*]South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut [*]Team America: World Police [*]An American Tale [*]Beavis and Butthead Do America [*]Hotel Transylvania [*]The Polar Express [*]Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [*]Lilo and Stitch [*]Mulan [*]Pocahontas [*]The Hunchback of Notre Dame [*]Oliver and Company [*]The Rescuers Down Under [*]A Bug’s Life [*]Frankenweenie [*]A Goofy Movie [*]The Aristocats [*]Shrek [*]Shrek 2 [*]The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad [*]Shrek the Third [*]Planes [*]The Three Caballeros [*]Saludos Amigos [*]Cars 2 [*]Tarzan [*]The Emperor’s New Groove [*]Looney Tunes: Back in Action [*]Bolt [*]Chicken Little [*]Treasure Planet [*]Atlantis: The Lost Empire [*]Dinosaur [*]Fantasia 2000 [*]Hercules [*]Kung Fu Panda [*]How to Train Your Dragon [*]Despicable Me

• Like 2

Just some suggestions based on what I would have done: I don't think short films should count because they're technically not movies and we never could short films in the top film countdowns. Hybrid films I'm kind of iffy about too because it can really vary how much "animation" there is, like with Space Jam where there wasn't much besides the Looney Tunes characters. 100 films might be too many for most people and it might discourage people from posting lists because it's too much effort. Do you have a scoring system yet? I think #1-100, #2-99, #3-98 etc. doesn't work well because there isn't much of a point difference between #1 or #7 in points, but the top spot should get a big bonus since it is the person all time favorite. I would have done something like:1:   552:   403:   364-5: 336-7: 308-10: 2811-15: 2516-20: 2226-30: 2031-35: 1836-40: 1545-50: 1351-60: 1061-70: 871+: 5 Just some suggestions  :)

For short films, I think we should let people include them in their lists but have a limit of 8 making the final listNot done scoring yet but will probably do something quite simillar to what you posted. I'll send you a PM in a couple of days

I just can't list 100 good animations. I don't think I've ever seen 100 animated movies.

Like I said, you don't have to list a 100

I can probably list 100 animated films I like, but putting them in any semblance of order is a really tough call.

If you were asking people for their own top 25s, you'll probably get enough variation that you can then assemble a list of the top 100. With the smaller amount, you're likely to get more responses, too, which helps things along.