Films

Will June 2014 wide releases be one of the best ever reviewed months

QUICK NOTE: Please Re word title if it doesn't make senseI have just a quick look at the June schedule and most of them looks like they will great reviews. Here are the wide June releases below.Edge of tomorrow- fantastic reviews so far (89% with 56 reviews) guarantees this sci-fi blockbuster will be very well received by criticsThe fault in our stars- Early reviews around the web are promising and this should be the kind of film getting good reviews22 jump street- Early reviews are fantastic (10 positive, 1 negative) and should ultimately end up somewhere near the first which has a great rating (85% I believe)How to train your dragon 2- seems to be dreamworks major return to form with critics and the first one is loved. Also the first 7 reviews on RT are all positiveJersey boys- A Clint Eastwood drama based on a massive musical. Yeah I think this will get positive reviews. I am still just wondering why they didn't release it in the winter.Think like a man too- 1 of 2 or 3 releases that I don't think will get positive reviews but will still do ok. The first one got 53% and I think it will only go a tiny bit lowerThe rover- this has quite good positive early reviews so this could also be very well receivedTransformers 4- the only film that will probably get bad reviews in JuneI think the average film rating for June will be near 70% which has to be one of the best for a month everWhat do you think?

For a summer month, it's pretty great though. The later months are often inflated because that's when the juicy Oscar contenders are released. More than enough to wash out the stink of Red Dawn and Breaking Dawn 2.

It was also helped by a Disney movie and a shocklingly well-received Bond flick.

Fantastic Early Start To The Month

THE WEEK UPDATES

WEEK 1 AVERAGES

Average Percentage- All Critics: 86%

Top Critics Percentage- 82.5%

Average Score- 7.15/10 

RELEASE PERCENTAGES

Edge Of Tomorrow- 90%

The Fault In Our Stars- 82%

Httyd2 should end up in the 90s and 22 Jump Street in the high 80s.If think like a man too is a decent follow up it could end up in the 50s-60sJersey Boys should be 50s-70s if decent quality.Transformers: Age of Extinction will most likely be in the low 20s to 30s.There's also some independent films with decent scores.

whats interesting about not just june but this whole summer is the amount of films getting positive reviews 

Rotten Tomatoes Scores

Fresh Wide Releases (or that became wide 600+ Theaters)

Chef 89%

Neighbors 73%

Godzilla 73%

Million Dollar Arm 61%

X-Men Days of Future Past 92%

The Fault in Our Stars 80%

Edge of Tomorrow 90%

The Rover 66%

How To Train Your Dragon 2 92%

22 Jump Street 85%

Vs Rotten 

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 53%

Blended 14%

Maleficent 50%

Million Ways to Die in the West 33% 

Think Like a Man 2 24%

Jersey Boys 55%

three out of six of those are 50% or higher too.

Admittedly, this month was off to a pretty good start until we reached the second half. Think Like a Man Too got slammed, and Jersey Boys was beneath the standards of even post-Gran Torino-slump Eastwood, and Transformers probably won't pick up the slack this weekend.

Nevertheless, I must personally agree that it was a pretty good month.

The Fault in Our Stars isn't as great as the book (seriously, everyone, PLEASE read it - I promise that you'll at least like it unless you go in with some sort of agenda to hate it; it's just so well-written, and so clever and so deftly aware of the cliches associated with YA lit), but it's still a pretty good movie. I'd show it to my students in class if I taught the book, and that's a pretty high compliment (by comparison, I had debates with myself about showing the 2013 Gatsby, but I ultimately did).

Edge of Tomorrow is a fantastic popcorn movie. Like Groundhog Day twenty-one years before it, it's the kind of clever movie that we will ultimately look back on and wonder why it wasn't a bona fide blockbuster. I'll probably go see it for a second time with some of my new roommates just because it's that much fun. Audiences need to get over whatever aversions they might have toward Tom Cruise and power it to huge numbers.

22 Jump Street has deservedly been a big hit. Lord and Miller put their all into everything they make, and it shows just as much in this film as it does in any other. Please, Hollywood, keep giving these guys huge budgets and complete creative control; they certainly know what to do with it. (And if it results in a Clone High movie, I might just die of happiness.)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 isn't quite as good as its predecessor (which placed #9 on my top ten of 2010, and maintains at least as high of a position four years later), but it's still a great sequel. The "Dragon" world has been expanded considerably, and I exited the auditorium in high anticipation of a threequel. I hope very sincerely that we'll get said film in 2017 or 2018.

All of that above post represents considerably more enthusiasm than I could muster for the first halves of the summers of 2010-2013. It's a fool's errand for sure, but hopefully Hollywood learns more from the notices of this moviegoer than it does from the overall box office receipts.

Edited by Webslinger