wileECoyote

Weds Numbers 6/4 Early proj Malef 5.6 DOFP 2.8 AMW 1.4

I didn't much care for The Assassination of Jesse James either, aside from the look of it. :ph34r:

The middle section is, in my opinion, entirely boring and aimless, but I loved those last 40 minutes. Just perfect. Casey Affleck is great too and so is the cinematography, obviously. 

Edited by Jack Nevada hates movies
  • Like 1

I watched Twister last night. I hadn't watched in a while. I looked up its box office run and saw that it made well over 200m with a sub 50m opening.  I think it was 41m. The only movie I can recall that did that in recent years was The Blindside. It opened in the 30s and legged its way to over $250m. Any others?

• Like 1

I watched Twister last night. I hadn't watched in a while. I looked up its box office run and saw that it made well over 200m with a sub 50m opening.  I think it was 41m. The only movie I can recall that did that in recent years was The Blindside. It opened in the 30s and legged its way to over $250m. Any others?

Yeah, the box office has changed tremendously in terms of OW and multipliers. General movie-going behavior has changed, so naturally we don't see anything like that these days.

• Like 2

potc 46.6m/305.4m

edit:

5-day ow was 70.6m. made 24m wed+thu. even removing that it's still 46.4m/281.4m friday onwards.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Yeah, the box office has changed tremendously in terms of OW and multipliers. General movie-going behavior has changed, so naturally we don't see anything like that these days.

It was just fascinating to see that and how much it has changed. Now OW is everything.

• Like 1

the hangover w/ 44/277 might be the closest in recent years. can't think of any others.

• Like 2

It's not just movie-going behavior, but it's movie-release behavior too. When you have big movies released week after week after week after week, there's just no room for old-fashioned legs anymore. And of course most weeks there multiple big releases, especially during summer.

But I suppose you can blame some of it on movie-goers too, since people are used to being able to watch something on home video just a few months after its released in theaters, so there's little point in watching something in a theater a month or two after it's released. (Of course you could also blame those quick home video releases on studios too.)

• Like 2

It's not just movie-going behavior, but it's movie-release behavior too. When you have big movies released week after week after week after week, there's just no room for old-fashioned legs anymore. And of course most weeks there multiple big releases, especially during summer.

But I suppose you can blame some of it on movie-goers too, since people are used to being able to watch something on home video just a few months after its released in theaters, so there's little point in watching something in a theater a month or two after it's released. (Of course you could also blame those quick home video releases on studios too.)

I think it's a chicken-or-the egg scenario (philosophically speaking, not evolutionary, of course). Are the studios conditioning audiences, or are audiences imposing a certain rhythm? 

• Like 1