wileECoyote

Weds Numbers 6/4 Early proj Malef 5.6 DOFP 2.8 AMW 1.4

GOT Book Reader here, not smug or anything, but it can be a little irritating when changes are made.

For example, i hate how they're portraying poor Stannis on the show.

He'll have his chance to shine.I'm more intrigued to see what they're doing with Sansa, with the sudden reveal of her true identity.

• Like 1

Motherfucking Baroque Cycle. Not really traditional fantasy, per se, but it skirts the border between historical fiction and (oh-so-carefully hinted at) fantasy.

Sounds intriguing. I'll have to put it on my list and check it out in the future. Wanna get started on the Malazan series right now, with The Gentlemen Bastards series after that (though I may decide to hold back on that until the series is complete). Generally, I liked dark fantasy, with great characters, and I love my anti-heroes.

• Like 1

GOT Book Reader here, not smug or anything, but it can be a little irritating when changes are made.

For example, i hate how they're portraying poor Stannis on the show.

complaining about changes isn't what I'm talking about specifically, I'm thinking more guys who are always hinting at shit and being all smug about the predictions of people who haven't read the book. assholes.

• Like 1

He'll have his chance to shine.I'm more intrigued to see what they're doing with Sansa, with the sudden reveal of her true identity.

The assault on the wall should be the next episode, so we'll see.

Im not sure how i feel about the Sansa reveal. so early..., but i guess it gets her out from under LF's thumb..

WTF momemt : Arya+ Hound in front of the bloody Gates. I wonder how they'll explain that away.

• Like 1

complaining about changes isn't what I'm talking about specifically, I'm thinking more guys who are always hinting at shit and being all smug about the predictions of people who haven't read the book. assholes.

LULZ. Just wait until the finale. It'll blow your mind! Or maybe not...If only you'd read the books. 

• Like 1

I watched Twister last night. I hadn't watched in a while. I looked up its box office run and saw that it made well over 200m with a sub 50m opening.  I think it was 41m. The only movie I can recall that did that in recent years was The Blindside. It opened in the 30s and legged its way to over $250m. Any others?

Not sure about well over, but the sub $50m OW, greater than $200m DOM list includes:

Alvin & The Chipmunks 2 (48.9/219.6)

Tangled (48.8/200.8)

Batman Begins (48.8/205.3)

FotR (47.2/313.4)

Ratatouille (47/206.4)

Jurassic Park (47/357.1)

PotC1 (46.6/305.4)

Meet the Fockers (46.1/279.3)

The Hangovers (45/277.3)

National Treasure 2 (44.8/220)

Alvin & the Chipmunks (44.3/217.3)

HTTYD (43.7/217.6)

Shrek (42.3/267.7)

Twister (41.1/241.7)

The Lion King (40.9/312.9)

Batman '89 (40.5/251.2)

Armageddon (36.1/201.6)

Wedding Crashers (33.9/209.3)

T2 (31.8/204.8)

Saving Private Ryan (30.6/216.5)

Night at the Museum (30.4/250.9)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (29.6/209.4)

Cast Away (28.9/233.6)

Titanic (28.6/600.8)

The Sixth Sense (26.7/293.5)

Forrest Gump (24.5/329.7)

RotJ (23/252.6)

Mrs. Doubtfire (20.5/219.2)

Aladdin (19.3/217.4)

Home Alone (17.1/285.8)

Beverly Hills Cop (15.2/234.8)

Ghostbusters (13.6/229.2)

Ghost (12.2/217.6)

ET (11.8/359.2)

Back to the Future (11.2/210.6)

ESB (10.8/209.4)

• Like 2

The assault on the wall should be the next episode, so we'll see.

Im not sure how i feel about the Sansa reveal. so early..., but i guess it gets her out from under LF's thumb..

WTF momemt : Arya+ Hound in front of the bloody Gates. I wonder how they'll explain that away.

Judging by LF's smirk when she says she knows what he wants, I'm not sure she's really escaped from under his thumb.And yeah, that Arya stuff was weird. I mean, that laugh was fantastic. I loved that little scene. But it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. They definitely should not reunite any of the Starks. I was worried with the Bran and Jon stuff a few weeks back, but they managed to avoid the reunion in a great way. If they pull it off again, then I'll be very happy. "Close, but no cigar" is pretty much the family motto for the Starks right now, so they should keep it that way.

• Like 1

LULZ. Just wait until the finale. It'll blow your mind! Or maybe not...If only you'd read the books. 

I tried, not my style of writing. I prefer the books that have buttons on the side that you press and they make noises.

• Like 3

Not sure about well over, but the sub $50m OW, greater than $200m DOM list includes:

Tangled (48.8/200.8)

FotR (47.2/313.4)

Ratatouille (47/206.4)

Jurassic Park (47/357.1)

PotC1 (46.6/305.4)

The Hangovers (45/277.3)

HTTYD (43.7/217.6)

Shrek (42.3/267.7)

Twister (41.1/241.7)

Batman '89 (40.5/251.2)

Armageddon (36.1/201.6)

T2 (31.8/204.8)

Cast Away (28.9/233.6)

Titanic (28.6/600.8)

RotJ (23/252.6)

Aladdin (19.3/217.4)

Home Alone (17.1/285.8)

Ghost (12.2/217.6)

ET (11.8/359.2)

ESB (10.8/209.4)

Technically Armageddon was a Wednesday opener, with a $54m 5 day.

• Like 2

Technically Armageddon was a Wednesday opener, with a $54m 5 day.

Yeah, several of them had Wednesday openings or association with a Holiday period that provided an early boost. I was just checking down the list, though.

• Like 1

Sounds intriguing. I'll have to put it on my list and check it out in the future. ... Generally, I liked dark fantasy, with great characters, and I love my anti-heroes.

that's Stephenson right? is it as good as Snow Crash? i've heard a lot of good things about it.

Yep, it's Stephenson. Personally, I think it's much better than Snow Crash, but the pacing is very different. Like many of his more recent novels, the narrative is meandering with lots of little digressions.

Baroque Cycle is a beast of a series: something like 2700 pages all told, originally in 3 volumes (I think now they sell paperbacks that split it into 8 books). It's about a great many things, but broadly it's about how many of our modern concepts of currency, banking, and science evolved out of bartering, goldsmiths, alchemy, and natural philosophy -- but these themes are set against the backdrop of the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th. So on the one hand you have a Puritan-raised natural philosopher as one of the main characters, a former roommate and longtime friend and acquaintance of Isaac Newton (who features prominently as a supporting character, along with Leibnitz and a great many other scientists, big minds, and politicians of the time, including (but not limited to: Blackbeard, D'Artagnan, William the Prince of Orange, King Louis "The Sun King" XIV, and Peter the Great). On the other, you have Half-Cocked Jack, King of the Vagabonds, a ne'er-do-well who roams Europe (and eventually, the world) getting into all sorts of wild and completely insane adventures involving piracy, Spanish treasure from the New World, rogue kingdoms in exotic India, and so forth.

Believe it or not, it all comes together in a splendidly—well, baroque, frankly—fashion. But you've got to be prepared, otherwise it will eat you whole. If I was pitching it to an HBO exec I'd say it's Deadwood meets Pirates of the Caribbean.

It's a prequel to Cryptnomicon, if that means anything.

• Like 3

Tangled (48.8/200.8)

FotR (47.2/313.4)

Ratatouille (47/206.4)

Jurassic Park (47/357.1)

PotC1 (46.6/305.4)

The Hangovers (45/277.3)

HTTYD (43.7/217.6)

Shrek (42.3/267.7)

Twister (41.1/241.7)

Batman '89 (40.5/251.2)

Armageddon (36.1/201.6)

T2 (31.8/204.8)

Cast Away (28.9/233.6)

Titanic (28.6/600.8)

RotJ (23/252.6)

Aladdin (19.3/217.4)

Home Alone (17.1/285.8)

Ghost (12.2/217.6)

ET (11.8/359.2)

ESB (10.8/209.4)

Great list! A lot of those are not so long ago. Good job and thank you.

• Like 1

Yep, it's Stephenson. Personally, I think it's much better than Snow Crash, but the pacing is very different. Like many of his more recent novels, the narrative is meandering with lots of little digressions.

Baroque Cycle is a beast of a series: something like 2700 pages all told, originally in 3 volumes (I think now they sell paperbacks that split it into 8 books). It's about a great many things, but broadly it's about how many of our modern concepts of currency, banking, and science evolved out of bartering, goldsmiths, alchemy, and natural philosophy -- but these themes are set against the backdrop of the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th. So on the one hand you have a Puritan-raised natural philosopher as one of the main characters, a former roommate and longtime friend and acquaintance of Isaac Newton (who features prominently as a supporting character, along with Leibnitz and a great many other scientists, big minds, and politicians of the time, including (but not limited to: Blackbeard, D'Artagnan, William the Prince of Orange, King Louis "The Sun King" XIV, and Peter the Great). On the other, you have Half-Cocked Jack, King of the Vagabonds, a ne'er-do-well who roams Europe (and eventually, the world) getting into all sorts of wild and completely insane adventures involving piracy, Spanish treasure from the New World, rogue kingdoms in exotic India, and so forth.

Believe it or not, it all comes together in a splendidly—well, baroque, frankly—fashion. But you've got to be prepared, otherwise it will eat you whole. If I was pitching it to an HBO exec I'd say it's Deadwood meets Pirates of the Caribbean.

It's a prequel to Cryptnomicon, if that means anything.

Sounds intriguing and something HBO or Showtime might pull off. I've just started watching Showtime's Penny Dreadful. Intrigued so far... I think either of them could pull off an ambitious series like this.

• Like 1

Judging by LF's smirk when she says she knows what he wants, I'm not sure she's really escaped from under his thumb.And yeah, that Arya stuff was weird. I mean, that laugh was fantastic. I loved that little scene. But it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. They definitely should not reunite any of the Starks. I was worried with the Bran and Jon stuff a few weeks back, but they managed to avoid the reunion in a great way. If they pull it off again, then I'll be very happy. "Close, but no cigar" is pretty much the family motto for the Starks right now, so they should keep it that way.

The Laugh was unexpected, but awesome. Love The Hound+ Arya relationship, will be interesting to see how the show plays it out.

I thought the assault on Craster's Keep was a complete waste of time and added nothing to the story. i guess they needed a few scenes of Jon fighting. 

We Need Coldhands damn it. I hope they don't cut him from the show.

• Like 1

The Laugh was unexpected, but awesome. Love The Hound+ Arya relationship, will be interesting to see how the show plays it out.

I thought the assault on Craster's Keep was a complete waste of time and added nothing to the story. i guess they needed a few scenes of Jon fighting. 

We Need Coldhands damn it. I hope they don't cut him from the show.

Arya and The Hound is a spin-off I would pay good money for. I love that pairing. It'll be difficult to see Arya go on her own (if they indeed stick to that - but how can they not?!)I agree that Coldhands needs to make an appearance, but I think we'll have to wait for season 5 for that. Though there is the chance they switched things up there as well.As for the Craster's Keep thing...I honestly had no problem with it. I thought it was done in order to serve that "close but no cigar" thing I mentioned. The only thing that bothered me was the Jon and Karl fight. Jon came off as a pussy, and the end was stupid. Karl just turned his back on an opponent who was merely down, but in no way incapacitated. Makes for a cool kill shot, but it was idiotic. Those kinds of things take me out of a scene.

• Like 1