Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen - Year Nueve (Yzma & Horror House 2 Reviewed)

Kansas

Maybe Dorothy should have stayed in Oz.

Because the film has already attracted a great deal of controversy, and the discussions on said film have been already well worn, I'm primarily going to use this review to focus less on its themes but more on the inner workings of the film. As previously noted, I am an Atheist, but I have respect for other religions so long as it helps them to become better people. Also, I know that there actually are camps on all spectrums of Christianity, from the more relaxed variation that our own Blank attended to the cesspool of blind faith and soldier-like devotion to religion as depicted in the film. The latter is an extreme and rare example however, and the film doesn't do a good job of showing this aside from normal Christians. But I digress, let's look more into the film.

Call me crazy, but I almost think that the film would have worked better as a dark comedy. The religious zeal and the over the top beratements of climate change and abortion feel cartoonish and unnatural to the characters. If the movie took a more satirical approach in showing this religion, then we might have gotten something a bit more interesting. The documentary style we got, however, was something that almost worked well. The style is interesting and takes a good approach to trying to create some reality in the situation, but again, it's held back by the over the top nature of this religious behavior, and I know it exists, but the film tries to play straight something so absurd. Jesus Camp worked because it was an actual documentary, and this film tries to push it into dramatic territory, getting somewhat lost in the shuffle.

If the script lets the film down, at least some of the cast and Aronofsky try to save it. The child actors are surprisingly decent, especially Gilmore in his questioning of faith and his assimilation into a strange new environment. I kind of feel like Swinton and Hunter's roles should have been switched, as Swinton is a bit more of a natural when it comes to chewing scenery. (She's totally one of my favorite actresses, though, and I can't wait to read Yzma for that being one reason.) Aronofsky also does a good job of showing paranoia in the air through some cool direction, but it doesn't work as well due to the lack of real progress made in the film in terms of plot. The film never really builds up to anything, and the relationships don't have real time to grow.

Kansas is a film that could have worked, and it's not as bad as Alpha and Rukaio make it out to be, but there's still a lot left to be desired.

C+

• Like 2

Into The Dead

World War Ehhh

The zombie apocalypse genre has great potential for an exciting film (even World War Z had some great aspects), and Frank Darabont is a very capable director. This film, however, didn't work very well for me, sadly. The pacing seems a bit off, with a fairly pointless use of "en media res" and a first act that shows the rise of the virus leading into the beginnings of its calamities, and the movie kind of jumps around at the beginning yet doesn't move fast enough towards the middle onwards. The main cast is okay, and the Cavill gives a surprisingly decent performance as an ordinary man trying to survive and maintain his humanity. The "Sun's Gone Dim" sequence was also terrifying and hauntingly brilliant. 

In the end, there's not much else to say about this movie, to be honest. If you like this sort of Zombie gore fest with some human elements, then I guess you'd like it, but I honestly feel like this is something I've seen before. It's pretty decent for a discount day at your local cineplex.

C/C+

• Like 1

That was what I was going for. To talk about the political context seemed redunant, but frankly, I do kind of sympathize towards their views. I tried to look at the film from a more partial lens, however.

Epicer Chase will be reviewed in the next hour, by the way.

So....the requests so far:

Kansas

Into The Dead

Epicer Chase

5cm/s

Plus Special Picks From Me:

Yzma

Horror House 2

Star Wars: Age of the Republic

Fate Stay Night

Reviews begin soon!

I don't know whether I should be happy or terrified about that...

Great review Spaghetti! Yeah, it was my first full length story and honestly, if I had the chance to go back and fix some things, I would. But for what it turned out to be, it wasn't that bad. I'm very glad that the reviews so far are fairly decent (8/10 from Blank, B from Rukaio, C+C grade from you). ^_^

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2