La Binoche

Thurs #s (Deadline): T:AOE 9.45, Tammy 5.5, DUFE 2.6, ETE 2.6, HTTYD + 22 JS 2.5

Looking at sequels to popular animated movies (HTTYD2, Kung Fu Panda 2) and the sequels to popular R-rated sequels (22 JS, Hangover 2).It seems the former is much riskier.

Hmm. Both of the former followed up on films that did well in theaters, but were evidently more vocally praised by critics and the Internet than general audiences (who seem to have just accepted the originals as enjoyable stand-alone stories), took the story/characters to more serious/mature places......I'm suddenly getting nervous about The Incredibles 2... Edited by TServo2049

There's nothing wrong with Transformers The Animated Movie.

It's a cool, little movie from an adult's perspective and mind blowingly awesome from a kid's.

Oh, I like it myself. I did say I had fond memories. It's probably somewhere in the 30-50 range for my all time animated movies, though. It just seems bizarre to rate it that high. To me.

Looking at sequels to popular animated movies (HTTYD2, Kung Fu Panda 2) and the sequels to popular R-rated sequels (22 JS, Hangover 2).

It seems the former is much riskier.

Well, they do cost a lot more.

Hmm. Both of the former followed up on films that did well in theaters, but were evidently more vocally praised by critics and the Internet than general audiences (who seem to have just accepted the originals as enjoyable stand-alone stories), took the story/characters to more serious/mature places......I'm suddenly getting nervous about The Incredibles 2...

I don't think you should be nervous. The Incredibles is probably the only animated movie where audiences were and still are begging for a sequel. So unless it's bad (which is highly unlikely in my book) it should be huge.

• Like 2

TS movies have increased considerably over their predecessors.

But Cars, Cars2 was 244m, 191m

MI, MU was 256m, 268m

For Incredibles 2 I would be happy with anything above 240m+, at least out-grossing Brave's 237m.

Don't want to over-expect now. 99 times burnt, twice shy.

I don't think you should be nervous. The Incredibles is probably the only animated movie where audiences were and still are begging for a sequel. So unless it's bad (which is highly unlikely in my book) it should be huge.

Are they really? Or is it another Internet/geek echo chamber? Do the general public, the "silent majority" who weren't piqued by KFP2 or HTTYD2, really and truly want a sequel to The Incredibles as bad as we do? I surely hope so, but after Dragon 2 it's harder to take anything for granted... Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1