Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

And you think you'll get those 300 million back ?That's 2,5 Titanic, 6 Avatar !Please, people, get real for a second !

It's not impossible. Many films have broken out big time since the very first weekend of the year, it wouldn't just suddenly stop.

And you think you'll get those 300 million back ?That's 2,5 Titanic, 6 Avatar !Please, people, get real for a second !

2002 was the peak year for movies, you can't use it as the barometer for every other year. Edited by tribefan695

In ten years, US box offce has lost 300 million people in attendance,

300 million !!!

US Box office is just dying a painful death.

Look at the facts people.

All these Ben Bernanke-Alan Greenspan fiat dollars created an illusion of growth you are all drowning into.

The end of the box office recession is NOT happening anytime soon.

Hollywood do not count attendance. They count money. MONEY. And didn't you read, 2012 is WAY AHEAD of 2011 in attendance.

If THG was just a fluke, then so was Avatar. The same can be said for nearly any very successful movie. What's encouraging is that January was close to No. 1 all that month. February either was, or was close. March may also be.Moreover, if we're already burying April, before a single movie is released, then how is that a sign of a continued RECESSION? Isn't that instead a sign of a particularly mediocre slate of movies that happen to be on the way this month?

THG is a fluke and even with Titanic 3D, we are headed toward a bad April and questionable summer even with TDKR and Avengerslet's see what happens by August before declaring the recession over

2012 is almost 500 M ahead of 2011 and you still think it's not over? Why you think box office will suddenly plummet in summer?

let me be clear about what I mean regarding fluke, its a series that was hugely anticipated and would have drawn a huge opening in summer, winter or whenever it was releasedit also achieved a massive gross on a relatively low marketing and production budget which adds to its incredible statushow many movies recently can we say have achieved this on a first opening? fluke is an appropriate word to describe its place in BO history, not the project itselffurthermore, there are some huge budgeted summer films with massive expectations that obviously need to be met in some sense, so I'm sorry if I continue to look bigger picture on where the industry is headedtechnically as a "recession" it may end when the summer comes but we'll see where the business is in terms of tickets sold and inflation when summer is over like I mentioned in my first post

If THG was just a fluke, then so was Avatar. The same can be said for nearly any very successful movie. What's encouraging is that January was close to No. 1 all that month. February either was, or was close. March may also be.Moreover, if we're already burying April, before a single movie is released, then how is that a sign of a continued RECESSION? Isn't that instead a sign of a particularly mediocre slate of movies that happen to be on the way this month?

It's because though Cabin in the Woods, Think Like A Man, Lucky One, Five Year Engagement and Pirates! have breakout potential BOM is too male/action-skewing to see these movies as able to do well hence the month sucks and will disappoint.

I wasn't comparing to 2011; I was comparing to every year. 2012 should sport, at worst, the 2nd highest March EVER; the highest Feb. EVER; and the 2nd highest January EVER. Of course inflation can taken into account, but the gap isn't that high over the past several years.

It's probably safe to say that this April is going to be an off month. After next weekend, it's a weak slate. May should be very good though the problem there is only 4 weekends, with only a small number of releases. June is really the wild card month- from Snow White and the Huntsman to Brave to Prometheus to Rock of Ages to even Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (which is getting mostly slammed here but has potential), there is lot of unpredictability. My guess is that most will surprise in a positive way, and then July is pretty much locked to be a beast.

Edited by rb02

Last year's was pretty big, though. Many of the big releases were probably shifted to April because of the late Easter break.August has a lot of potential this year, IMO. We'll have Bourne, Expendables, The Campaign, and ParaNorman and Premium Rush as possible dark horses.

That's true about April, usually, and I have no idea why. Why is March becoming a near-summer month for blockbusters while April gets crap?

My guess is schools. March a lot of schools have spring break, and in April everyone is studying, finals, upcoming big projects, etc.