The Road to El Dorado (2000)

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just saw it and was very pleasantly surprised.

Immediately rockets up to one of the best Dreamworks has done, and yet it bombed. Ha.

I must say I found the sexual innuendo very welcome as opposed to the G rated plasters all over Disney's work, not that I'm saying every movie has to go there, but it was in character and was great to see the animators/directors unleashed.

It's very fun, like a Pirates of the Caribbean movie and has some beautiful animation. The instances of CGI are more subtle than Treasure Planet, and that was three years later.

Currently will stand as one of my favourite 2D animated movies but we'll see if it holds up in the future.

I loved it when it was first out, but I thought it was uneven when I saw it again a few years ago. I wonder what would have happened if Katzenberg had really gone ahead and made it an even edgier PG-13 adventure aimed at teens and adults, which was his original intention (he also wanted to make Miguel and Tulio gay, and the homoerotic vibes between the two are still pretty darn clear from what I remember of the film).

Haha wow that'd make for a pretty awesome movie.

Especially with Che also in the mix! Maybe bisexuals?

Katzenberg seems like a real wild card. Idiotic in many ways but brilliant in others.

Any source for that?

Katzenberg seems like a real wild card. Idiotic in many ways but brilliant in others.

Any source for that?

The Men Who Would Be King, the book about the rise and fall of DreamWorks. It doesn't have much coverage of El Dorado, but it especially goes into detail on Katzenberg's obsessiveness over The Prince of Egypt and the Antz/A Bug's Life controversy/posturing.