La Binoche

Monday #s (Rth): Lucy 4.9, Herc 3.3

I am absolutely floored by Maleficent's Worldwide gross.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it is a big, glossy, expensive Disney film retelling a classic fairy tale in a genre where films like AIW made a killing. And following in the immediate wake of a MONSTER Disney hit. Happy, proud, whatever. But definitely not floored. Now if it broke a billion then I would be.

I'm floored when less traditional, indie style films catch on at the box office, a genuine surprise. Say like Silver Linings Playbook which I loved but was odd as hell.    

It'll probably have better legs than any of us are expecting, so it could end up around 130m.

Cool  you rem we were telling Empire and others that this film would be a big hit for Scarjo. Seems we were right.

The freaking film cost only 40+M + 30 to  40 Mil for advertsing. Shoot its got almost its entire marketing and advertising budget back from OW lol

• Like 2

I'm kind of impressed by The Purge Anarchy. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear it's much better than the first one. Despite that, I'm surprised how it's on track to out-gross its predecessor, despite the fact that not too many people even liked the first Purge...

I had thought it would top out at 40M, but now that it's looking at 70M, bravo!

Hey DAJK and welcome to the forums friend :).. How much do these low budget purge films cost? 1-2mill ?

• Like 1

Cool  you rem we were telling Empire and others that this film would be a big hit for Scarjo. Seems we were right.

The freaking film cost only 40+M + 30 to  40 Mil for advertsing. Shoot its got almost its entire marketing and advertising budget back from OW lol

Yeah, it was pretty successful.

I'm happy for its success, if only because it means will get more original sci-fi films.

• Like 1

Wanna watch Lucy so much ... But I'm not in US 

Dont worry Quinn shes cming to your country soon I would think.... Warning it has some cool plausible and very bat shit crazy moments in the film. I love it though as she starts from innocent victim to ominpotent godlike struggling to hold onto to her humanity.. Wow

• Like 1

Yeah, it was pretty successful.

I'm happy for its success, if only because it means will get more original sci-fi films.

Did you give it a B- to B like I did  PokeArch?  How did you like it... There some really good moments that we can share in the Lucy discuss thread..  So feel free to post your thoughts in there.. We are allowed spoilers in discuss threads right?

• Like 1

Beats me. I imagine the audience that's going to see it is pretty young.

Has to be or Disney is putting money into the shit lol.. Naah Im kidding I likedthe movie gave it a C+ to B-.. But its hardly good enough to explain this kind of BO Might... Wow I guess your right , must be like Scarjo getting her Avengers and Iron Man, Her after affects now with Lucy... Seems Frozen has given the Dame more staying power than anyone could have imagined my Archer.. Holy Moly!!

• Like 1

Did you give it a B- to B like I did  PokeArch?  How did you like it... There some really good moments that we can share in the Lucy discuss thread..  So feel free to post your thoughts in there.. We are allowed spoilers in discuss threads right?

Haven't seen it yet to honest. It's playing at my local theater though, and I've heard it's pretty batshit crazy.

Yes you can post spoilers, but they have to be hidden. 

• Like 1

Has to be or Disney is putting money into the shit lol.. Naah Im kidding I likedthe movie gave it a C+ to B-.. But its hardly good enough to explain this kind of BO Might... Wow I guess your right , must be like Scarjo getting her Avengers and Iron Man, Her after affects now with Lucy... Seems Frozen has given the Dame more staying power than anyone could have imagined my Archer.. Holy Moly!!

A combination of Jolie and Disney = instant success.

• Like 1

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it is a big, glossy, expensive Disney film retelling a classic fairy tale in a genre where films like AIW made a killing. And following in the immediate wake of a MONSTER Disney hit. Happy, proud, whatever. But definitely not floored. Now if it broke a billion then I would be.

I'm floored when less traditional, indie style films catch on at the box office, a genuine surprise. Say like Silver Linings Playbook which I loved but was odd as hell.    

To each his own.

• Like 1

Hey DAJK and welcome to the forums friend :).. How much do these low budget purge films cost? 1-2mill ?

Haha thanks! The first Purge cost 3mil + advertising, and the second one cost about 9mil + advertising
  • Like 1

Clever tactic that other franchises might want to try...

Come up with an interesting concept which doesn't cost a lot of money to make....

Make a terrible movie out of it that still makes enough for a sequel....

Make the second one "better than the first" so it gets praise for being "ok"....

Profit!

At the same time, the director wanted to make Purge 2 more than 1 for obvious reasons. If he had the budget the first time around, we probably won't have gotten what we did with Purge 1. We probably wouldn't have gotten that story in any Purge film at all.