Fullbuster

Diversity in top films misrepresents U.S. population

I still see no attempt to find out the racial makeup of the acting profession.   I've seen several high school drama classes in recent years...and minority students are not that interested in it.   My local high school features a much higher than average percentage of non-white students.   ...Yet the drama class is almost all white kids.   Is this a nationwide trend?   Are white kids more interested in drama than minority kids?   It's the first question you ask here if you are being logical.

And this right here is what we call the "bullshit personal anecdote" argument. I was in drama for four years in high school, and at least 75% of our very, very successful club was black and Hispanic. Many of them have gone on to AMDA or ADA or film school, and at least a couple of my friends have not been cast in roles SPECIFICALLY because they did not have the right skin color for it. Don't talk about someone's argument fallacies when you make up anecdotes to fit your own opinion. 

• Like 4

Stating it doesn't matter if you're black or white is in fact stating to a black person that a huge component of who they are doesn't matter. Like it or not, minority groups do use things like skin tone, ethnicity, sexual orientation to define part of who they are. Denying them this ability by being color blind is not only being insensitive to who they are but it also suggests a lack of awareness of the challenges that group faces as a consequence of being a part of that minority.Respecting someone for being black is a lot better than pretending someone isn't black. It's just avoiding the issue, 

Do you know what I find super ironic. You see in science there has been nothing found to justify the concept of race. Nothing. It is an artificial social construct designed, it seems from my white male eyes as I cast over history with my white male brain, to justify being assholes to one another. And ironically, the very people who were victimized by this artificial construct are the ones who are so desperate to cling to this construct. I'm sorry, I just find that incredibly ironic.I will not respect someone for being black, white, red or yellow. I will respect someone who is a decent human being. If you want to celebrate your skin color go right ahead, but I refuse to hop aboard that train. 

• Like 1

And this right here is what we call the "bullshit personal anecdote" argument. I was in drama for four years in high school, and at least 75% of our very, very successful club was black and Hispanic. Many of them have gone on to AMDA or ADA or film school, and at least a couple of my friends have not been cast in roles SPECIFICALLY because they did not have the right skin color for it. Don't talk about someone's argument fallacies when you make up anecdotes to fit your own opinion. 

If you go to a predominantly minority school that would not be unexpected.

And...before you misrepresent what I said, you may want to read what I posted.   You are either engaging in a Straw Man or read my post too quickly.

I still see no attempt to find out the racial makeup of the acting profession. I've seen several high school drama classes in recent years...and minority students are not that interested in it. My local high school features a much higher than average percentage of non-white students. ...Yet the drama class is almost all white kids. Is this a nationwide trend? Are white kids more interested in drama than minority kids? It's the first question you ask here if you are being logical.

Notice the question marks?    That's because my point was there is no attempt to find out the racial makeup of the acting profession in this discussion.   I was asking questions pertinent to finding out that information.,,,not making a judgement as you claim here.    When we find out the racial makeup of the acting profession, we'll be able to make a judgement about it....not before.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Do you know what I find super ironic. You see in science there has been nothing found to justify the concept of race. Nothing. It is an artificial social construct designed, it seems from my white male eyes as I cast over history with my white male brain, to justify being assholes to one another. And ironically, the very people who were victimized by this artificial construct are the ones who are so desperate to cling to this construct. I'm sorry, I just find that incredibly ironic.I will not respect someone for being black, white, red or yellow. I will respect someone who is a decent human being. If you want to celebrate your skin color go right ahead, but I refuse to hop aboard that train. 

How exactly are you respecting someone who is a decent human being if you refuse to respect part of how they identify themselves?

Not that you get it. You just want us to shut up about race because otherwise you'd have to deal with the vast inequalities minorities still face. But it's okay you don't see color, so how can you possibly see those inequalities?

• Like 5

And on MLK, as I see it.

Both Harspoke and myself seem to be idealists at heart and we identify with MLK's idealism. A day when the content of your character is what counts, not what the color of your skin is. What a fantastic vision. How much pain and suffering would end if we lived in that future.

• Like 1

Do you know what I find super ironic. You see in science there has been nothing found to justify the concept of race. Nothing. It is an artificial social construct designed, it seems from my white male eyes as I cast over history with my white male brain, to justify being assholes to one another. And ironically, the very people who were victimized by this artificial construct are the ones who are so desperate to cling to this construct. I'm sorry, I just find that incredibly ironic.

Coincidentally, I just watched a documentary about Neanderthals.   It turns out that people of white European descent have a higher percentage of Neanderthal in their DNA strands.   People of black African descent have the least amount.

So there is a difference.   I hope that doesn't translate to "better" and "inferior" in some people's minds.

• Community Manager

And on MLK, as I see it.

Both Harspoke and myself seem to be idealists at heart and we identify with MLK's idealism. A day when the content of your character is what counts, not what the color of your skin is. What a fantastic vision. How much pain and suffering would end if we lived in that future.

Even though I've posted quotes from MLK disagreeing with your "color-blind" society, you still keep trying to use him. MLK did NOT want a color blind society. He wanted a color aware society.

But of course, that would also mean actually listening to the black man beyond what you like to hear.

• Like 2

Why are people bringing MLK into this in the first place? We're talking about having more minority groups in films, not civil rights...Oh but since you can quote MLK, youre not racially insensitive and youre open to race ideas. Please. What else can you tell me about MLK Spots and Harps?

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

If you go to a predominantly minority school that would not be unexpected.

And...before you misrepresent what I said, you may want to read what I posted.   You are either engaging in a Straw Man or read my post too quickly.

I still see no attempt to find out the racial makeup of the acting profession. I've seen several high school drama classes in recent years...and minority students are not that interested in it. My local high school features a much higher than average percentage of non-white students. ...Yet the drama class is almost all white kids. Is this a nationwide trend? Are white kids more interested in drama than minority kids? It's the first question you ask here if you are being logical.

Notice the question marks?    That's because my point was there is no attempt to find out the racial makeup of the acting profession in this discussion.   I was asking questions pertinent to finding out that information.,,,not making a judgement as you claim here.    When we find out the racial makeup of the acting profession, we'll be able to make a judgement about it....not before.

That would have been a perfectly reasonable argument if the rest of your post wasn't predicated on bashing liberals and calling people out for fighting for diversity. Yes, I did go to a majority minority school, but the fact of the matter is my school as a whole was more white (about 35 percent) than what was represented in drama. Yes, if you live in Kansas, white drama clubs are going to be the case, but schools from major metropolitan areas tend to produce, from my experience actually acting at competitions and tours all over, a number of minority actors that is far, far greater than what is represented in Hollywood, and I would be willing to bet money that artistically inclinded major cities are far more of a producer of prospective actors than predominantly white towns.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Why are people bringing MLK into this in the first place? We're talking about having more minority groups in films, not civil rights...Oh but since you can quote MLK, youre not racially insensitive and youre open to race ideas. Please. What else can you tell me about MLK Spots and Harps?

Personally I loved it when Harps was like Halle Berry calling herself a black actress when she won an Academy Award was against MLK's wishes.

Behold, the white man telling black people how they should act and think based on their misinterpretation of MLK's ideas.

• Like 3

How exactly are you respecting someone who is a decent human being if you refuse to respect part of how they identify themselves?

Not that you get it. You just want us to shut up about race because otherwise you'd have to deal with the vast inequalities minorities still face. But it's okay you don't see color, so how can you possibly see those inequalities?

We are simply never going to see eye-to-eye won this matter. For the record though,  I really don't want you to shut up. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. However I am going to finish with a quote from Morgan Freeman, who being black, obviously has more weight on the issue than me because me being white and all. So you know, respect his opinion because he is black.

"Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man. And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You're not going to say, "I know this white guy named Mike Wallace." Hear what I'm saying?"

• Like 1

Do you know what I find super ironic. You see in science there has been nothing found to justify the concept of race. Nothing. It is an artificial social construct designed, it seems from my white male eyes as I cast over history with my white male brain, to justify being assholes to one another. And ironically, the very people who were victimized by this artificial construct are the ones who are so desperate to cling to this construct. I'm sorry, I just find that incredibly ironic. 

Go tell that to your white buddies that still perpetuate that "artificial construct" today. What else those minorities can do? Brainwash those that rule the system with that "artificial construct" to erase it? Or try to make way for a wider acceptation and opening the chances to succeed through diversity within the system to make it evolve and reflect today's society? What is the most sound and rational solution?

And that twisted way to think you're embodying MLK's philosophy more than minorities themselves to tell them what they should do or not do to advance their cause because you twist his words to suit your way (which begins like "Minorities are cry-babies whining about anything", what a courtesy invitation to open a gentle discussion about that topic), that's fallacious. MLK didn't say "there aren't black, there aren't white", he said we should respect each other and see beyond that skin color that should not divide ourselves but enrich ourselves.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

• Community Manager

We are simply never going to see eye-to-eye won this matter. For the record though,  I really don't want you to shut up. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. However I am going to finish with a quote from Morgan Freeman, who being black, obviously has more weight on the issue than me because me being white and all. So you know, respect his opinion because he is black.

"Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man. And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You're not going to say, "I know this white guy named Mike Wallace." Hear what I'm saying?"

The biggest irony here is you're using Morgan Freeman to a Hispanic to comment on race issues. :lol:

• Like 1

Going in line with this joke study:

In MLB there is a substantially higher number of Hispanics and lower number of blacks based on population.  Diversify!

In the NBA there is a substantially higher number of blacks and lower number of whites based on population.  Diversify!

Once again, the media manufactures racism/prejudice and there are those who I'm just going to call gullible right here and now.

• Like 2

Go tell that to your white buddies that still perpetuate that "artificial construct" today. What else those minorities can do? Brainwash those that rule the system with that "artificial construct" to erase it? Or try to make way for a wider acceptation and opening the chances to succeed through diversity within the system to make it evolve and reflect today's society? What is the most sound and rational solution?

And that twisted way to think you're embodying MLK's philosophy more than minorities themselves to tell them what they should do or not do to advance their cause because you twist his words to suit your way (which begins like "Minorities are cry-babies whining about anything", what a courtesy invitation to open a gentle discussion about that topic), that's fallacious. MLK didn't say "there aren't black, there aren't white", he said we should respect each other and see beyond that skin color that should not divide ourselves but enrich ourselves.

I didn't say cry-babies whined about anything Dash.

Also Dash, It's okay to me that you are black, and I respect your skin pigment.

• Like 1

Do you guys even know what racism/prejudice is?

It is treating someone differently in an arbitrary manner based on some inherent disposition.

All you morons spouting off about the "straight white males" in this thread are in fact being racist in a thread supposedly about stopping racism and promoting diversity.  So our opinion isn't relevant because of our race and sexual orientation?  The absence of racism/prejudice is equality.

Dear god, are you really all this dense?

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 4

IDK how good independent films are at celebrating diverse cultures, but I do agree with you that independent films are much better than big budget studio films are at celebrating other cultures. I also agree with you that big budget films probably lag behind independent pictures in this category because they are worried about money. So, I guess that brings up the next question: What is the solution to that problem? Should big studios get over their fears, should consumers demand films that celebrate diverse cultures more, or should we consumers spend our money on smaller, independent films about other cultures, therefore proving that there is a market for that stuff?

I think its a consumer led thing to be honest. People love to whine about big business, but what big business really reflects are our own desires. We are the ones who want cheaper prices at the cost of outsourcing jobs or more lax environmental controls. And we are the ones who go make <insert Block Buster title here> a big hit while ignoring <insert Indie Title here> a commercial failure.

• Like 3