iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#16: Tangled (2010) - 654 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The magically long-haired Rapunzel has spent her entire life in a tower, but now that a runaway thief has stumbled upon her, she is about to discover the world for the first time, and who she really is.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Tangled has done quite alright for itself considering its been mostly in Frozen's shadow for the last year. Its 20.4 average score is the lowest in the Top 20, although it placed as high as #2 in one list.

IMDB trivia:
Over 45,000 lanterns are used during the 'I See the Light' sequence.

BOF blurb:
The Panda:
This movie is like marijuana, the first time's nice, but you don't truly get hooked on the greatness till the second or third try.

BOF User Review:
Oh, my goodness. Words cannot truly express how I love this film. It's my favorite animated film of the year, and probably the top three of the last decade. I thought it was touching, hilarious, and incredibly memorable. The journey between Flynn (sorry, Eugene) and Rapunzel was spectacular.

A+

-Noctis, 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 16

#15: Princess Mononoke (1997) - 711 Points

Country of origin: Japan (Studio Ghibli)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Princess Mononoke makes another huge point jump, as it leaps 57 points above #16, Tangled. It's 33.8 average score is now the highest out of any movie so far that received more than 3 votes. It received the fewest number of votes for any film in the top 20, thought it was clearly well liked by those who'd seen it as indicated by the high average.

IMDB trivia:
Japanese mythology tells that dogs/wolves are always male-voiced, and cats are always female-voiced, regardless of sex. For this reason, a man, Akihiro Miwa provides the voice of Moro the mother wolf. His casting is perhaps an in-joke to his career as a female impersonator.

BOF blurb:
Spidey Freak:
Gorgeous, elegant epic that is also a spiritual experience. I watched the English dub written by Neil Gaiman (Coraline and Stardust were based on his works) and the movie works just as beautifully. Miyazaki is at his finest here, crafting a piece of art having environmental themes without coming across as preachy or stupid. He masterfully paints the two opposing forces: Capitalism/Industrialism vs. Conservationism, represented by the uber badass Lady Eboshi and the feral spirits living in the forest respectively, with an entire prism's output of shades. And they never manage to overshadow Ashitaka, the noble and compelling hero of the piece, and the sole streak of pure white across the striations of grey. Joe Hisaishi's surreal score wonderfully complements the breathtaking visuals.  

One of the most chilling moments in cinematic history:
Posted Image

BOF User Review:
I think this is my favorite Miyazaki film. Spirited Away was too random and meandering for my tastes but here the flights of fancy are all in service of a thoroughly engaging meditation on the human/wilderness relationship, combining the classic Hollywood "hero's journey" narrative with the more intimate, meditative tone of the director's work.

A

-tribefan695, 2014

Posted Image

Posted Image
#WolfPeltHairFlip #fabulous

Film Video Clip:

• Like 15

#14: Monsters Inc. (2001) - 749 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Monsters generate their city's power by scaring children, but they are terribly afraid themselves of being contaminated by children, so when one enters Monstropolis, top scarer Sulley finds his world disrupted.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Monsters Inc. is the second film from the Pixar Power PackTM to appear in the top 20. It also received the lowest average out of that group of films (22.0), although it ties for 7th most votes received overall. Perhaps Monsters University got more people to revisit this film, like Maleficent's effect on Sleeping Beauty?

IMDB trivia:
It normally took 11 to 12 hours to render a single frame of Sulley because of his 2.3 million individually animated hair strands (Total number of hairs: 2,320,413).

BOF User Review:
A charming and wonderful film. Problem is it comes from a studio that's made plenty of charming and wonderful films. The fact I'm giving this an A- and I consider this in the lower rung for Pixar shows how highly I regard their films 

-DAR, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 19