God's Not Dead (2014)

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This movie is narratively disabled (I would use the 'R' Word but Obama does not like that so I'll keep quiet). It jumbles around to many damn subplots that are not needed and frankly not welcome at all. If the focus was just Josh and the professor I think the movie would have been less painful to sit through. And it feels longer than it needs to be as well. Fifteen minutes could have easily been cut and there would have been no difference at all. Also I think a professor (especially a philosophy teacher) that tells his entire class to write God is Dead on a sheet of paper is a idiot who A. Should not be teaching Philosophy at all and B. Piggybacking off of the last part, he would be fired if word got out. And it tries to make atheists look bad by making others think that they just hate God, as asked by Josh in the "climax". YOU DUMB IDIOT! Atheists do not hate God! If they did they wouldn't be atheists. Atheists just simply don't believe in God (or any Gods or deities for that matter) and this movie hilariously glosses over that.The characters are either one-dimensional or just completely worthless and forgettable. Except for Kevin Sorbo who gives an okay performance but he completely sucked chode in the last half hour. Josh is a bland and boring character who has no memorable qualities about him. But his girlfriend is perhaps even worse. Not only did she annoy the living shit out of me but she was reaching Jar-Jar Binks territory in terms of rage mode. I mean seriously, you are so dumb and completely oblivious to the fact that nothing that happens to Josh will affect you whatsoever. Your life isn't ruined if you fail ONE class in college. Sure it'll make you look a little bad in a resume but it wouldn't be quite as serious as say if he flunked a math class or English class. Talk about bitchy.Not only that but it is completely pandering to its Christian audience by thinking they won't be able to make anyone sit down and watch the film if they don't have some "pop-cultural icons" like Willie Robertson and Newsboys show up and tell audiences to text very single one of their friends and family "God's not dead". I think in twenty years no one is going to give a crap about what Duck Dynasty was at all. It feels like they desperately needed to see this movie so they shamefully slapped them on the film and it was somewhat successful in a way (box office-wise anyway). As a Lutheran myself and considering becoming a deist, this film left jaw-dropped because of its stupidity and pandering bullshit it left on most who saw it. It jumps around aimlessly hoping to make an impact on the viewer but overall it just feels like another re-assurance to Christians about their faith that didn't really needed to exist and probably would have worked better as a twenty minute sermon at your local church (without all the side-tracked stories of course).D-

As if the trailer wasn't funny enough, I did read the youtube comments, pure comedy gold

If you don't believe in anything.. then what do you live for people? Why do you even live? For what? For death?
Responder
 · 
2cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Ocultar respostas

Well personally I live because life is kinda fun.  On the whole I enjoy living more than not
Responder
 · 
3cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Edited by Goffe

This movie is narratively disabled (I would use the 'R' Word but Obama does not like that so I'll keep quiet). It jumbles around to many damn subplots that are not needed and frankly not welcome at all. If the focus was just Josh and the professor I think the movie would have been less painful to sit through. And it feels longer than it needs to be as well. Fifteen minutes could have easily been cut and there would have been no difference at all. Also I think a professor (especially a philosophy teacher) that tells his entire class to write God is Dead on a sheet of paper is a idiot who A. Should not be teaching Philosophy at all and B. Piggybacking off of the last part, he would be fired if word got out. And it tries to make atheists look bad by making others think that they just hate God, as asked by Josh in the "climax". YOU DUMB IDIOT! Atheists do not hate God! If they did they wouldn't be atheists. Atheists just simply don't believe in God (or any Gods or deities for that matter) and this movie hilariously glosses over that.The characters are either one-dimensional or just completely worthless and forgettable. Except for Kevin Sorbo who gives an okay performance but he completely sucked chode in the last half hour. Josh is a bland and boring character who has no memorable qualities about him. But his girlfriend is perhaps even worse. Not only did she annoy the living shit out of me but she was reaching Jar-Jar Binks territory in terms of rage mode. I mean seriously, you are so dumb and completely oblivious to the fact that nothing that happens to Josh will affect you whatsoever. Your life isn't ruined if you fail ONE class in college. Sure it'll make you look a little bad in a resume but it wouldn't be quite as serious as say if he flunked a math class or English class. Talk about bitchy.Not only that but it is completely pandering to its Christian audience by thinking they won't be able to make anyone sit down and watch the film if they don't have some "pop-cultural icons" like Willie Robertson and Newsboys show up and tell audiences to text very single one of their friends and family "God's not dead". I think in twenty years no one is going to give a crap about what Duck Dynasty was at all. It feels like they desperately needed to see this movie so they shamefully slapped them on the film and it was somewhat successful in a way (box office-wise anyway). As a Lutheran myself and considering becoming a deist, this film left jaw-dropped because of its stupidity and pandering bullshit it left on most who saw it. It jumps around aimlessly hoping to make an impact on the viewer but overall it just feels like another re-assurance to Christians about their faith that didn't really needed to exist and probably would have worked better as a twenty minute sermon at your local church (without all the side-tracked stories of course).D-

I actually agree with almost everything you said about this movie, although I actually didn't hate the film. probably because I do believe in God. but it was very one-sided, and kind of felt like a sermon and failed miserably to reach an audience outside of strongly religious christians.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

I believe in God but this movie is just way to stupid. The whole thing in the beginning of class was stupid that all the students had to write "God is Dead"  Having a professor badger a student for his beliefs. The movie shows Atheist and Muslims as hateful people.  

• Like 1

I believe in God but this movie is just way to stupid. The whole thing in the beginning of class was stupid that all the students had to write "God is Dead"  Having a professor badger a student for his beliefs. The movie shows Atheist and Muslims as hateful people.

It's also quite funny how none of the other students even question this act and just mindlessly obey him.

God, I've forgotten about how much this movie pissed me off.