rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

I'll be very disappointed in these forums if Schindler's List doesn't make it.

Xykon the Sorceror: "Ok, lets practice your big reveal line."

Monster in the Dark: "Order of the Stick!  Your broken corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg!"

X: "That's...that's what you're going with?  As your big line?  Your first impression?"

MitD:  "Not scary enough?  Oh, I had another one... Order of the Stick!  I will bath in your blood with some lavender bath gel and a good loofa!"

X: "You know what?  My bad.  Just stick with the first one."

MitD: "Oh, you liked it after all?"

X: "No.  I just lowered my expectations."

Given the way things are going, I'm just happy that it looks like around half of my top 20 will make the list at all, and I'm hoping the top 10 are at least mostly movies that I included on my list at all.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

I'll be very disappointed in these forums if Schindler's List doesn't make it.

It didn't make my list. Not because I don't think it's a terrific film. Or because it's an important film that should be required viewing for all.

But at least for me when I did my list it represented films I could watch again at the drop of a hat. Schindler's List I've only seen once and have no real desire to watch again

But I'm not finished pointlessly dragging this out for drama!

Fine, here's No 25....

25. Pulp Fiction (1994) 32 points- 16 votes (and you all thought it would be Lion King...)

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions."

Stingray, we're going to have to do something about this. 

24. The Usual Suspects (1995) 33 points- 12 votes

"How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?"

the_usual_suspects_1995.jpg

Following a truck hijack in New York, five conmen are arrested and brought together for questioning. As none of them is guilty, they plan a revenge operation against the police. The operation goes well, but then the influence of a legendary mastermind criminal called Keyser Söze is felt. It becomes clear that each one of them has wronged Söze at some point and must pay back now. The payback job leaves 27 men dead in a boat explosion, but the real question arises now: Who actually is Keyser Söze?

Trivia: The line-up scene was scripted as a serious scene, but after a full day of filming takes where the actors couldn't keep a straight face, director Bryan Singer decided to use the funniest takes. A making-of documentary shows Singer becoming furious at the actors for the constant cracking-up. In an interview (on the Special Edition DVD), Kevin Pollak states that the hilarity came about when Benicio Del Toro "farted, like 12 takes in a row." Del Toro himself said "somebody" farted, but no one knew who.

Ruk's Comments

"Dammit, I love this film. Yeah, sure it probably shouldn't be this high and it's really the ending scene that really propels it into true true greatness (although the rest of the film is great) but damn that ending was good. Even knowing the twist, it's just so brilliantly shot and the way everything slots together so perfectly... it gave me chills. And I'm really not surprised Kevin Spacey won that Best Supporting Actor statue. One of the few times I unashamedly agree with the Oscars there." 

• Like 10

23. Toy Story (1995) 33 points- 14 votes

"The word I'm searching for I can't say because there's preschool toys present."

toy_story_ver1_xlg.jpg

A little boy named Andy loves to be in his room, playing with his toys, especially his doll named "Woody". But, what do the toys do when Andy is not with them, they come to life. Woody believes that he has life (as a toy) good. However, he must worry about Andy's family moving, and what Woody does not know is about Andy's birthday party. Woody does not realize that Andy's mother gave him an action figure known as Buzz Lightyear, who does not believe that he is a toy, and quickly becomes Andy's new favorite toy. Woody, who is now consumed with jealousy, tries to get rid of Buzz. Then, both Woody and Buzz are now lost. They must find a way to get back to Andy before he moves without them, but they will have to pass through a ruthless toy killer, Sid Phillips

Trivia: Billy Crystal was originally offered the chance to voice Buzz Lightyear, but declined. After seeing the finished film, he said the decision was the biggest mistake of his career. Upon learning this, John Lasseter telephoned Billy's house to offer him the role of Mike Wazowski in Monsters, Inc. (2001). Billy's wife answered the telephone and said "John Lasseter wants to speak to you." Billy took the telephone from his wife and said "Yes".

Ruk's Comments

"Can't really comment on this film since I haven't watched it since I was about 6. (And even then I'm not entirely sure I watched it all.)"

• Like 13

22. Casablanca (1942) 35 points- 11 votes

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

casablanca.jpg

In World War II Casablanca, Rick Blaine, exiled American and former freedom fighter, runs the most popular nightspot in town. The cynical lone wolf Blaine comes into the possession of two valuable letters of transit. When Nazi Major Strasser arrives in Casablanca, the sycophantic police Captain Renault does what he can to please him, including detaining a Czechoslovak underground leader Victor Laszlo. Much to Rick's surprise, Lazslo arrives with Ilsa, Rick's one time love. Rick is very bitter towards Ilsa, who ran out on him in Paris, but when he learns she had good reason to, they plan to run off together again using the letters of transit. Well, that was their original plan....

Trivia: Director Michael Curtiz' Hungarian accent often caused confusion on the set. He asked a prop man for a "poodle" to appear in one scene. The prop man searched high and low for a poodle while the entire crew waited. He found one and presented it to Curtiz, who screamed "A poodle! A poodle of water!"

Ruk's Comments

"Honestly, I think I'm more pissed this didn't make the Top 10 than I was about Pulp Fiction (and almost as pissed as I am at which film ranked No 10). Why? Because it's fucking Casablanca! It's one of the most well-written, timeless films I've ever seen. And I normally hate romances! Humphrey Bogart's Rick is one the most influential anti-hero characters and performances in fiction history and is just amazing every second he's on screen. The dialogue has barely aged a day and is as witty, creative and emotional as it ever was.

Honestly, if I were to try and decide which film objectively I consider the greatest movie of all time, I think I would pick this one. It's that good. Pretty much every single one of the Top 21 I'm going to have to judge against this film. And I can assure you most will come up short."

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 13

21. Goodfellas (1990) 37 points- 14 votes

"For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster. To me that was better than being president of the United States. To be a gangster was to own the world."

GoodFellas_film_poster.jpg

Henry Hill is a small time gangster, who takes part in a robbery with Jimmy Conway and Tommy De Vito, two other gangsters who have set their sights a bit higher. His two partners kill off everyone else involved in the robbery, and slowly start to climb up through the hierarchy of the Mob. Henry, however, is badly affected by his partners success, but will he stoop low enough to bring about the downfall of Jimmy and Tommy?

Trivia: The "You think I'm funny?" scene was based on a story that Joe Pesci acted out for Martin Scorsese. While working in a restaurant as a young man, Pesci once told a mobster that he was funny and the mobster became very angry. Scorsese allowed Pesci and Ray Liotta to improvise the scene. He did not tell the other actors in the scene what would happen because he wanted their genuine surprised reactions.

Ruk's Comments

"Okay, I'm not too pissed this beat Casablanca.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Casablanca but there's no denying that this is a damn good film. And this is coming from someone who isn't the fondest of gangster flicks. Scorsese is on his toppest of top forms and there are some great performances from Di Niro, Liotta and especially Pesci."

• Like 15

20. Wall-E (2008) 37 points- 17 votes

"Computer, define 'dancing.'"

20110414080342!WALL_E_poster_4.jpg

In a distant, but not so unrealistic, future where mankind has abandoned earth because it has become covered with trash from products sold by the powerful multi-national Buy N Large corporation, WALL-E, a garbage collecting robot has been left to clean up the mess. Mesmerized with trinkets of Earth's history and show tunes, WALL-E is alone on Earth except for a sprightly pet cockroach. One day, EVE, a sleek (and dangerous) reconnaissance robot, is sent to Earth to find proof that life is once again sustainable. WALL-E falls in love with EVE. WALL-E rescues EVE from a dust storm and shows her a living plant he found amongst the rubble. Consistent with her "directive", EVE takes the plant and automatically enters a deactivated state except for a blinking green beacon. WALL-E, doesn't understand what has happened to his new friend, but, true to his love, he protects her from wind, rain, and lightning, even as she is unresponsive. One day a massive ship comes to reclaim EVE, but WALL-E, out of love or loneliness, hitches a ride on the outside of the ship to rescue EVE. The ship arrives back at a large space cruise ship, which is carrying all of the humans who evacuated Earth 700 years earlier. The people of Earth ride around this space resort on hovering chairs which give them a constant feed of TV and video chatting. They drink all of their meals through a straw out of laziness and/or bone loss, and are all so fat that they can barely move. When the auto-pilot computer, acting on hastily-given instructions sent many centuries before, tries to prevent the people of Earth from returning by stealing the plant, WALL-E, EVE, the portly captain, and a band of broken robots stage a mutiny.

Trivia: Andrew Stanton and the Pixar team watched every single Charles Chaplin and Buster Keaton movie (the short films and the features (RUK NOTE: Neither of whom got a film on this list, you bastards...)) every day during lunch for about a year and a half. This was to inspire the possibilities of pure visual storytelling.

Ruk's Comments

"Oh joy. Another Pixar. Because we haven't had enough of those already. (*takes swig from whisky bottle*)

Seriously though, I'd call Wall-E one of the better Pixar films. I've got to give credit to the film for being able to create such strong and distinct characters in the first half of the film without any use of dialogue. And how can you really hate any film with the HAL 9000 as the villain? (Yeah, they call him AUTO but it's blatantly Hal.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and look at the distinctly better Ghibli/anime films that missed out on this list and drink. Heavily."

• Like 12