The Stingray

The Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of the 21st Century | Deadline Nov 17 (REVISED, 2 days earlier!)

Alright, after many back-and-forths I have decided on the terms and conditions.

- The Top 25 sci-fi films of the 21st century. As Mr. Ghost pointed out, 'all time' lists are a dime a dozen, and I agree with him.

NOTE: I will also accept Top 20 lists, in case there are those who feel that 25 is too difficult.

- For a film to be considered eligible it needs to be listed as sci-fi on IMDb. However, there are two exceptions to this rule...

- Superhero movies are not eligible. Although many superhero flicks fall into the sci-fi category, this will be a non-superhero list. Besides, I believe ED does the superhero thing annually, so there is always room for them there.

- 2014 sci-fi films are not eligible. I am using IMDb for this as well, so if a movie is listed as 2014 on IMDb, it wont get in.

NOTE: The following film(s) have been exempted from the IMDb rule: The Prestige, Space Cowboys, Total Recall (2012)

- The preliminary deadline is set to 3 weeks from now, Wednesday, November 19th.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Now put those noggins to work and get cracking on them lists!  :)

Also, for the sake of suspense, I'd appreciate it if some members would PM me their lists instead of posting them here. :)  :)
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

I imagine letting IMBD/BOM decide the genre is the best bet.

(I'd also personally disqualify anything released this year [or at least since June] to prevent the 'new and shiny' effect giving a film an exxagerated position.)

Otherwise Interstellar will win this because of how recent in peoples minds it is and there's been no time for reflection and multiple rewatches (in non-cinematic settings too) to give a true opinion of a film.

• Like 4

Though I don't agree that superhero and sci-fi are always mutually exclusive genres, I think this should be a non-superhero list.

It really comes down to the individual films. Nolan and Burton's Batman films aren't, but Batman and Robin is. Iron Man 1 and 2 aren't, but Extremis makes Iron Man 3 one. And so on.

So yeah, better to entirely exclude them.

Though I don't agree that superhero and sci-fi are always mutually exclusive genres, I think this should be a non-superhero list.

I'm leaning towards this, but we'll see. I'll let some more people chime in. I mean, something like Guardians is as sci-fi as they come, right?

I imagine letting IMBD/BOM decide the genre is the best bet. - Yeah, consistency is key here.

(I'd also personally disqualify anything released this year [or at least since June] to prevent the 'new and shiny' effect giving a film an exxagerated position.) - Good idea!

Otherwise Interstellar will win this because of how recent in peoples minds it is and there's been no time for reflection and multiple rewatches (in non-cinematic settings too) to give a true opinion of a film.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards this, but we'll see. I'll let some more people chime in. I mean, something like Guardians is as sci-fi as they come, right?

The best thing might be for you or a chosen panel to screen superhero film nominations to determine if they're kosher.

The best thing might be for you or a chosen panel to screen superhero film nominations to determine if they're kosher.

Yeah, but I don't want no uproar because one beloved superhero film was allowed and one wasn't. The rules need to be consistent. I'll see what I can do.

Edited by Cochi Loco