Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada's Top 30 Films of 2014

Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed you wanted candid truth-telling, but I realize now that you want the mindless nattering of complacent yes-men.

What were you trying to say? Should I take the thing off my list? I know it's your favorite fucking movie of all time and now you are OUTRAGED that I admitted watching it wrong and not getting it

What were you trying to say? Should I take the thing off my list? I know it's your favorite fucking movie of all time and now you are OUTRAGED that I admitted watching it wrong and not getting it

I'm just goofing around, Jack. You and I are practically neighbors, and according to the Bible, thou shalt love thy neighbor (no homo).

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your list.

Whatever. Now this is what I call quite good

original.jpg

28. The Tale of Princess Kaguya - directed by Isao Takahata

I'm a fan of Studio Ghibli, so obviously I was sad to read about the company shutting down. I knew the studio was going through rough times financially so it wasn't exactly a shock, but it's still unfortunate.

The world of animation will be much more boring without Ghibli.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is far from my favorite movie of theirs, as it is slightly inert and emotionally unengaging, but you can't help but admire the sheer beauty of the animation. The film has a real relaxing, ethereal mood to it. Watch it on the biggest screen possible and mellow out. 

• Like 2

To quote the mighty McBain: "Let's get silly"

the-muppets-most-wanted-soundtrack-cover

27. Muppets Most Wanted - directed by James Bobin

I laughed, okay? I laughed at the forced cameos, the grisly puns, the basic slapstick and Evil Kermit's Russian accent. It's the Muppets and I love 'em. Shut up.

• Like 6

The show goes on!

09-palo-alto.jpg

26. Palo Alto - directed by Gia Coppola

We have a new Coppola! And she's good. Palo Alto is a luminously shot, loosely structured but compelling slice of adolescent life that handles its characters evenhandedly. A standout in the young cast is Natt Wolff, who we also saw in The Fault in Our Stars but really caught my eye here as the reckless and edgy Fred. Big things coming for this guy, I tell ya.

Promising debut.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Next up..

the-double-2.jpg

29. The Double -- directed by Richard Ayoade

This was a nice surprise. Sure, it's not much more than a gimmicky exercise in style but boy, the style is good.

The film looks and sounds great, giving you a real sense of the world they're trying to create. It feels both retro and futuristic at the same time, really cute stuff.

I also thought Jesse Eisenberg gave his best performance since The Social Network, which admittedly isn't saying much.

Nigh on the definition of Style over Substance. Ayoade needs to go back to playing Moss.

Shit thickens.

Py4HrMm.png

25. Cheap Thrills - directed by E.L Katz

Such a good script. This is a dark, dark comedy. It is a positively vicious satire on class, economy and human desperation and it also has two guys shitting in a strangers living room. David Koechner, with his lifeless black eyes, is surprisingly good at being sinister. And whew, the final shot is a doozy.

• Like 2

Yeah that final shot is easily one of the best of the year. It actually startled me because all the rest of the film the cinematography and shot composition was of the utterly average shaky cam, over the shoulder, we're shooting a cheap indie movie here kind. 

Back of the net!

alan-partridge-alpha-papa-alan-partridge

23. Alan Partridge - directed by Declan Lowney

Easily the most niche film on the list, Alan Partridge (missing the glorious UK subtitle Alpha Papa) is strictly for the fans of Steve Coogan's bad-sweater-wearing, bad-joke-telling, intergalactically uncool comedy character who is a cultural icon in Britain yet entirely unknown in the States. Filmmaking-wise this isn't anything special, but the jokes keep coming at an incredible rate. I was laughing my ass off from the first five minutes to the very end.

Edited by Jack Nevada