kayumanggi

MONDAY NUMBERS | 12.15.2014

Those laser projectors...while they will improve digital IMAX (hopefully no more aliasing) I am worried if they'll be the nail in the coffin for what remains of 15/70...

The coffin's already been nailed shut, for the most part. For better or worse, there's hardly anyone with the interest and clout to keep 15/70 happening (at least enough to justify keeping the projectors in service). INTERSTELLAR was its last hurrah.

The coffin's already been nailed shut, for the most part. For better or worse, there's hardly anyone with the interest and clout to keep 15/70 happening (at least enough to justify keeping the projectors in service). INTERSTELLAR was its last hurrah.

And it was kind of a whimper with all the reports of the projectionists fucking up. I'll be glad if the laser projectors can provide better quality for the digital IMAX theaters and maybe one day they will also be able to match the image quality of the old 1570 theaters.

• Like 2

And it was kind of a whimper with all the reports of the projectionists fucking up. I'll be glad if the laser projectors can provide better quality for the digital IMAX theaters and maybe one day they will also be able to match the image quality of the old 1570 theaters.

In terms of comparable "resolution", there's no question digital will some day equal 15/70 film. (Using "resolution" in quotes because film doesn't really have resolution). Whether the range, latitude, and color fidelity matches film is more subjective (though honestly, most people already think digital is near-equal in those categories).

Beyond the 2012 renovation? I don't believe so.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything at the PACCAR in probably 20 years, well before the renovation. So I have no idea what it's like in comparison.

I saw the First Hunger Games in PACCAR because they had The Lorax in Boeing. This was post renovation and it still looked bad. And the seats didn't curve but were in a half hexagon shape that made the viewing experience odd.

Magnificent hold for BH6. I hope the new releases don't kill it. It better hold onto its theatre counts nicely through the remainder of the holiday season. It's looking pretty strong and if it survives this weekend's slaught of new releases, it can continue its excellent numbers throughout.

• Like 1

I saw the First Hunger Games in PACCAR because they had The Lorax in Boeing. This was post renovation and it still looked bad. And the seats didn't curve but were in a half hexagon shape that made the viewing experience odd.

There's probably a limited amount they can do with the existing location. It's over 50 years old, after all, since they originally put it there for the World's Fair. It got converted to an IMAX screen in '79.