25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It has some really fascinating ideas and with the exception of one character that I'll get to, the script is pretty well-written. It takes about 10 minutes to get used to Rihanna, but after that, she's better than expected and Steve Martin is good in general. Unfortunately, Oh is both poorly written and annoyingly voiced by Jim Parsons, and basically I wanted him dead about ten minutes into the movie and yet he had to be the hero. To be honest, a lot of my enjoyment for this came from the idea of addressing post-colonialism that my prof planted into my head, because I didn't find it funny or emotional. Still, there's enough intellectual depth in their recreation of the European's colonization of "lesser" peoples that this is an interesting film, but not particularly great. B-

I really liked this. It's funny, colorful and fast-paced, and much like The Croods, it was well executed and I could get over the familiar Dreamworls story. Also, I dropped TBBT this year so that may be the reason why I didn't find Sheldon annoying but I liked his character and his performance.

8/10

Kind of weird. The beginning is definitely rushed, things happen and you are kind of like "huh"? However, it does have its moments where it tries and I'll give it credit, but it just didn't connect with me for some reason.

Overall, C+, 6.5/10.

Characters: 7/10

Plot: 5/10

Script: 6/10

Animation: 8/10

Score: 8/10

Edited by K1stpierre

Home: Well, its not the worst kids film I have seen. The biggest problem with this movie is that its not funny. Jim Parsons as Oh, is ok I guess. Rihanna voiced by the girl is very miscast. Her voice doesn't match the character at all and it doesn't help that we don't get a clear indication of how old this character is. She looks 10 - 11 but acts like she's 16. The animation quality looks like the work of Dreamworks C team. I believe the music of the film was made for the pure purpose of record sales. You know that scene in the trailer where Oh is dancing and saying "I'm moving my arms like I just don't care?" I'm pretty sure that entire dance scene was so that Dreamworks can sell merchandise. It just feels forced. Steve Martin has no funny lines, and the film is predictable. Saying all this, I never hated the film. This is an innocent enough film you can put on Netflix for the kids to keep them entertained for 90 minutes.

Grade: C-