CaptainJackSparrow

Transformers One | September 20, 2024 | Prequel | Paramount | Animated

1 hour ago, WebSurfer said:

Oh wait never mind, this movie reportedly has a $147 million budget…

I'll be honest I thought it'd be a bit higher given it's ILM. If this movie can make as much as last years entry then they're golden. Thatll be solid enough returns theatrically have that and then the toy sales and other ancillaries. 

This was a very solid, albeit a familiar, origin story. Most everything in it works, I just wish there were some additional punches to make it go harder and elevate the common tropes. Definitely the best Transformers movie I've seen other than perhaps Bumblebee (but that was more just "what if E.T. was a car"). Should warrant a sequel, and I'd watch it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WebSurfer said:

Oh wait never mind, this movie reportedly has a $147 million budget…

See I originally thought it was 150 when I saw the trailers, but then the budget was apparently said to have been 93 million. I don’t know how the first figure was so off, unless the new one accounts for both production AND marketing 

13 hours ago, CheeseWizard said:

Yeah and the last knight grossed the lowest domestic of all the movies before and since. Micheal Bay killed most of the potential the movies had after releasing one of the worst big budget films to come out of Hollywood in its history.

Bumblebee may have been a derivative of ET, and Rise of the Beasts may have had a lukewarm reception, but they were far better received both by critics and fans than anything Bay had done past the 2007 movie, and TFOne looks like it’ll join that group aswell. The series isn’t reeling because he isn’t here; it’s still recovering from the damage he did.

At this point though it sadly seems like the damage he did to the franchise might've been permanent. 

TLK is actually higher than ROTB DOM adjusted for inflation. And WW it grossed a lot more than either Bumblebee or ROTB. Studios don't care about critical reception, they care about making money, and Michael Bay made a lot more $$$ for them.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

TLK is actually higher than ROTB DOM adjusted for inflation. And WW it grossed a lot more than either Bumblebee or ROTB. Studios don't care about critical reception, they care about making money, and Michael Bay made a lot more $$$ for them.

He made them a lot more money until he didn’t, and lost them over 100 million dollars to a point where he nearly killed the series. Unless his freedom over writing and even certain directing choices is heavily restricted, bringing him back in a directors chair isn’t gonna do anything good for the series, or for the studios.

Edited by CheeseWizard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Ouch. Final trailers the week of the movie's release are usually the worst omen you could see for a big movie. Fast X and The Marvels come to mind. Those presales must be abysmal.

Really? Didn’t know that tbh. Though each transformers movie since TLK has released a final trailer 3 days out from the movie, so I guess that tracks?

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Kay so wtf is this movie’s actual budget? First there’s a rumour of 93 million from the twitter guy who does info, then 145 million from one site, and now 75 million from deadline?

My head hurts 

There is no budget…

The real budget is the friends we made along the way.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Kay so wtf is this movie’s actual budget? First there’s a rumour of 93 million from the twitter guy who does info, then 145 million from one site, and now 75 million from deadline?

My head hurts 

It's 75M. That number comes from deadline, a trade website, which are as official as you can get.

Trades report the number that's given to them, which still might not always be the "real" one. But this ambiguity just illustrates how nebulous Hollywood financials really are, and not something that can be decisively judged by whatever budget number they throw out.

Especially for something like a toy driven IP like Transformers, the franchise's viability metrics go far beyond what it makes at the box office. If people love this movie it should sell a lot more toys too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Trade publications are Deadline, Variety, and Hollywood Reporter. The big 3 of reporting film news and you know it's real if coming from them.

So this article is essentially bollocks? Are these guys trustworthy or sometihng?

https://www.animationmagazine.net/2024/09/transformers-one-director-josh-cooley-producer-lorenzo-di-bonaventura-discuss-their-animated-origin-story/

17 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Never heard of them. But I wouldn't trust any budget numbers not from the trades or the studios themselves.

Edited by Mojoguy