Goffe

Rank the Harry Potter Scores

I have been listening to the scores for one week now, and I felt like creating a thread. Here is my ranking:

1. POA: most amount of memorable cues. 100/100

1. Buckbeak's Flight
  2. A Window to The Past
  3. Double Trouble

2. SS: the best themes, by a mile. 95/100

1. Hedwig's Theme/Prologue
  2. Leaving Hogwarts
  3. Mr. Longbottom Flies

3. HBP: the only one to successfully mix the sense of impending doom (latter characteristic of the films) and magic (former characteristic of the films) 95/100

1. Journey To The Cave
  2. The Friends
  3. Opening

4. GOF: the most all-around great score. 90/100

1. Harry In Winter
  2. The Goblet Of Fire
  3. The Story Continues

5. COS:  a weaker effort by Williams, but still pretty good. 85/100

1. The Chamber of Secrets
  2. Fawkes is Reborn/Fawkes The Phoenix
  3. Meeting Tom Riddle

5. DH2: a second-tier POA, its few good cues, are really motherfucking good. 80/100

1. Courtyard Apocalypse/Statues
  2. Neville The Hero
  3. Dragon Flight

6. DH1: Super blah score, it has no theme identity, the filler is way too similar to what it is supposed to be the pillars of a score. With that said, bland Desplat is still superior to most composers today. 75/100

1. Snape to Malfoy Manor
  2. Obliviate
  3. My Love Is Always There

7. OOTP: no strong themes, no strong filler, most of its good cues are good because Hooper rearranged Williams themes. 70/100

1. Flight of the Order of the Phoenix
  2. A Journey to Hogwarts
  3. The Sacking of Trelawney
Edited by Goffe

oh shit, I forgot COS  :lol:

I would place it between GOF and DH2, Fawkes theme is pretty great, but it isn't even the best theme in the score, let alone all material that Williams created for the series.

Edited by Goffe

surprised that ddddeeee put DH scores so low.

The drama is spot-on but the action music is limp. Why hire Desplat just to make him sound like Zimmer? No thanks. Sky Battle is better than any action cue in DH2.

The drama is spot-on but the action music is limp. Why hire Desplat just to make him sound like Zimmer? No thanks. Sky Battle is better than any action cue in DH2.

the first 40 seconds of Skybattle is amazing, eeh for the rest.

Fireplaces Escape is a better action cue in my opinion. 

Courtyard Apocalypse, Statues, and Panic Inside Hogwarts are AMAZING action cues!

Courtyard Apocalypse, Statues, and Panic Inside Hogwarts are AMAZING action cues!

The first two are the two most generic cues Desplat has written. No doubt someone was breathing down his neck telling him what to do. That simple and generic progression is the complete opposite of what Desplat normally writes.

Panic Inside Hogwarts almost made my top 3, pretty great cue.

Statues theme is easily DH2 highlight, the theme and its variations also happens to play in the best scenes of the film.

Edited by Goffe

The first two are the two most generic cues Desplat has written. No doubt someone was breathing down his neck telling him what to do. That simple and generic progression is the complete opposite of what Desplat normally writes.

Goodbye.

Wrong, he has written far more generic stuff for scores like Syriana, The Upside of Anger, Julie & Julia and Argo.