CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

75-80m is like the absolute roof of the highest admissions a movie can do nowadays. We have all kinds of challengers these years and all failed to take it down. We have beloved franchises with insane WOM aka TDK, TA & JW, we have original breakouts with godly WOM aka Avatar. These were bascially tests of the highest level a product in this industry can reach nowadays, and if those failed, it's hard too see how any others could do.

We are about to find out if Star Wars can do it again. I think if JJ delivers the goods, we could have another 80m ticket seller. When you throw out the bogus re-releases of the old movies, it is pretty amazing that Star Wars is still retaining so much of its audience from the original.

SW77 - 99m tickets

Menace - 85m tickets

Clones - 52m tickets

Sith - 59m tickets

With a 10 year wait and more importantly bringing back the three main characters of the original series, it will be interesting to see just how big SW7 can be.

• Like 1

People need to stop using Titanic's boxoffice run to belittle the performance of all modern blockbusters.

Titanic's run was good for is time, but the boxoffice is completely different nowadays and there limits to how much movie can make.

• Like 3

That's closer to the truth than the BOM chart for sure, but some of it seems inconsistent too.

Well that's arguable since it's difficult to know which is actually more accurate these days. In any case though, I think it's just better to count the cash nowadays. In the end it all comes down to money and sooner or later people are going to watch those movies anyway be it in the theatre, their homes, and such.

Edited by kowan

People need to stop using Titanic's boxoffice run to belittle the performance of all modern blockbusters.

Titanic's run was good for is time, but the boxoffice is completely different nowadays and there limits to how much movie can make.

Titanic's run was not good, it was the box office run to end all box office runs. Nothing since is even close and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging this. You can still be amazed by what other movies do today as well, but Titanic will always be the gold standard for box office performance IMHO.

• Like 3

But how many people thought TPM sucked from day one?

Plenty.

The movie s legs and multiplier seem to contradict that.

Lots of people loved it a first because they were awe struck by the mere idea of seeing a new star wars at the movies, it was an act of blind faith, but the more they thought about it, their opinion  on the movie, as time passes by, crumbled.

I know a lot of people, me included, that went through all of these phases regarding Phantom Menace.

• Like 1

Titanic's run was not good, it was the box office run to end all box office runs. Nothing since is even close and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging this. You can still be amazed by what other movies do today as well, but Titanic will always be the gold standard for box office performance IMHO.

Last question, how many tickets Star Wars ' 77 sold on its initial run ? More than Titanic ?

Lots of people loved it a first because they were awe struck by the mere idea of seeing a new star wars at the movies, it was an act of blind faith, but the more they thought about it, their opinion  on the movie, as time passes by, crumbled.

I know a lot of people, me included, that went through all of these phases regarding Phantom Menace.

There were some dudes in that anti-Lucas documentary that said they kept going back to the movie to see if it really was as bad as they thought the first time. It's like they were shell-shocked and couldn't come to terms with it, so they kept going back hoping to find a different movie each time.

• Like 1

Last question, how many tickets Star Wars ' 77 sold on its initial run ? More than Titanic ?

Based on what TServo posted earlier...SW77 initial run was around 99m tickets, so 29m less than Titanic. SW77 then had a bunch of re-releases over the years including the late 70's and all throughout the 80's.

Not a fair comparison. Home video didn't exist when the first SW came out. You either saw the movie in theaters or you didn't and that was it. You couldn't wait 3 months and see it on video like today.

Also the movie was in theater for YEARS.

Based on what TServo posted earlier...SW77 initial run was around 99m tickets, so 29m less than Titanic. SW77 then had a bunch of re-releases over the years including the late 70's and all throughout the 80's.

Thank you, I always wondered.

Titanic is indeed the biggest initial bo run ever.

There just hasn't been a movie since that people obsessively watch 7 or 8 times.

But it's definitely possible.

• Like 1

No contradiction.

There was a large segment of the audience who were in denial and watched TPM a few times and a large segment you thought it was shit from the get go.

Imagine if both segments obsessively watched TPM because it was so good.

Not a fair comparison. Home video didn't exist when the first SW came out. You either saw the movie in theaters or you didn't and that was it. You couldn't wait 3 months and see it on video like today.

Also the movie was in theater for YEARS.

Which is exactly why Titanic's 128m ticket number is a real jawdropper. We aren't going to ever see it again and it's pretty damn crazy it even happened in the first place. We were firmly into the VHS era including easy to rent stuff from Blockbuster and whatnot. DVD was even getting started around that time (though the peak years for it were in the early to mid 2000's).

• Like 1

We are about to find out if Star Wars can do it again. I think if JJ delivers the goods, we could have another 80m ticket seller. When you throw out the bogus re-releases of the old movies, it is pretty amazing that Star Wars is still retaining so much of its audience from the original.

SW77 - 99m tickets

Menace - 85m tickets

Clones - 52m tickets

Sith - 59m tickets

With a 10 year wait and more importantly bringing back the three main characters of the original series, it will be interesting to see just how big SW7 can be.

I always think that a ROTJ->Menace type of admissions jump (not including re-releases of cause) could be applied to Sith->JW7. Don't know what kind of attentance doesn't that translate into for JW7.

Edited by vc2002

No contradiction.

There was a large segment of the audience who were in denial and watched TPM a few times and a large segment you thought it was shit from the get go.

Imagine if both segments obsessively watched TPM because it was so good.

No Jar Jar and Lucas was winning 15m admissions.

Correct.

And other stuff ...