grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Didn't Square sell those rights to MGM last year?

Yep just checked MGM and WB are teaming up for Tomb Raider. Paramount lost the rights.

Edited by AJG

Minions, Pixels and Ant-Man all fighting for the top spot with mid 20M. Paper Towns looking at a 17M weekend and Southpaw 15M. This is the DHD update.

I just watched the Wedding Ringer, and honestly, its a super fun movie and pretty heartfelt without being extremely "funny".

I still want to see Pixels, but if its as bad as people (except Baumer) are saying it is, I wish it and paper towns could exchange box office numbers. That'd be nice.

The Wedding Ringer or The Wedding Singer?

Deadline updates

Late afternoon estimates show Sony’s Adam Sandler sci-fi comedy Pixels with a current Friday of $10.5M at 3,723 playdates putting it on course for a FSS of $27M-$28M. The comedian has seen bigger opening days for his summer ensembles: Grown Ups made $14.4M in its first day, while Grown Ups 2 did $16.3M, but the hope here is that his adult fans will come out tonight. If these numbers stick, it’s better than what Sony was expecting and it’s definitely a rebound from Sandler’s stateside disaster last summer, Blended ($4.3M opening day, $14.3M opening, $46.3M cume). This currently puts Pixels in first place for the weekend.

Disney Marvel’s Ant-Man is biting at Sandler’s heels with an expected second frame of $25.75M, down 55%, sending the tiny superhero over the century mark by Sunday with an estimated $107.1M domestic B.O.. Some believe that Ant-Man has a chance to topple Pixels. We’ll have a better idea if that’s possible, later tonight. Uni’s Minions are also vying for a mid $20M weekend, putting its domestic B.O. in its third sesh north of $260M.

Universal’s Amy Schumer headliner Trainwrecked is looking to have a -40%-45% hold, putting its second weekend at $16.5M-$18M at 3,171 venues for a 10-day run between $60M-62.5M.

• Like 5

Saying this is a rebound from Blended?

I mean...this movie cost a lot more, right, and was positioned as something bigger than just another Sandler movie.

So...naa...I'm not buying it. No rebound. This is as much a failure as that movie imo. Costs twice as much...makes twice as much.

On the bright side it cost 88m apparently, that's not too bad. It's not a disaster.

At least Sandler doesn't have to worry about failing at the box office with his next movie. Can't fail at the box office if you don't even release there!

• Like 2