Southpaw (2015)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Southpaw?

ps:  too lazy to write a review so i'm just pasting my first post on this movie after i saw it wednesday night

so i saw  SOUTHPAW  it gave my feels FEELS   

i was tearing up the entire movie , you  know sometimes a movie pulls at your heartstrings you know it the movie knows it but when done well you go with the flow , his story was just so heartbreaking...i don't like boxing but it does lend itself well to drama

well all i can say if jake gyllenhall isnt up for best actor i don't know what is up with the academy ! i'd even say he should win but the year is young ,like my dear leo can't blame him for trying , this has got to be his best effort to date , rachel mc adams for best supporting actress and the little gir playing his daughter too , forest whitaker for best supporting actor !

antoine fuqua for best director , james horner for best  score , best song for eminem & gwen stefani , 

def going to rewatch this again just wow !

so imagine my surprise when i go online and i'm seeing that the movie has mixed reviews , that people over at AD aren't exactly fawning over it ....

Edited by Antsy for RDJ Tony Stark
  • Like 1

Saw it and I thought it was great. One of my favorite movies of the year. Yeah, it is predictable and borrows things from other boxing movies, but I didn't care. Jake Gyllehaal's acting was great as usual and everyone else was good to. I like the direction, especially of the boxing scenes. Horner's score was pretty good as well. It was also really emotional and made me cry a number of times.

I would give it an......

A

• Like 3

B-

Would have been an A if he knocked the guy out at the end. The movie had every boxing cliche there is: fighter raised in an orphanage makes good, marries beautiful wife and has perfect house and family, called out by evil opponent, suffers traumatic setback, falls on hard times, rededicates himself with new trainer, fights enemy and loses first half of fight, makes comeback and knocks the guy the fuck out.

Except the guy gets up and beats the count. Yeah, he still wins but at least give the fighter and the audience the satisfaction of a total win rather leaving it to the judges (which was all to create suspense to see if 50 cents could rig the fight). This is the first time I was actually annoyed by the manner in which to fighter I was rooting for won.

I hated this. Ugly directing, poor pacing, emotionally manipulative and thoroughly unappealing. Gyllenhaal "saved" it as only Gyllenhaal could.

The first scene was really great about establishing tension, but somehow that was the most tense part of the film.

I don't even hate the genre. In fact, Raging Bull is my all time favorite film.

Whatever. 1.5/4 D

I liked this movie a lot better when it was called Rocky III.

Rocky doesn't lose his fortune or his wife or his kid in Rocky III.  He gets trained by a guy he used to fight, not a by a guy who used to train a guy he beat.  

I don't see any similarities in these films.

And even if there were, Rocky III was 1982, that's more than 30 years ago.

I was surprised. Yeah, it was generic, and I'm not gonna remember any of it in a month, but you know what? I enjoyed it. Gyllenhaal gave a typically great performance, and that child actor was actually pretty good. The plot and script were kinda eh, with cheesy lines all over the place but both Gyllenhaal and Whitaker manage to sell them well. I don't typically think that highly of Fuqua, but his filming style actually worked really well with the fights in this. Visceral and thrilling to watch, and the overall film was enjoyable too. B

• Like 1