To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Total 80s. One of the greatest car chases ever mixed in there too.

One could argue the car chase here tops Friedkin's own from French Connection. A great foot chase in the movie as well. But, yeah, that car chase isn't mentioned enough. I was kind of surprised this wasn't in the RTM Archives when I revisited it yesterday.

• Like 1

One could argue the car chase here tops Friedkin's own from French Connection. A great foot chase in the movie as well. But, yeah, that car chase isn't mentioned enough. I was kind of surprised this wasn't in the RTM Archives when I revisited it yesterday.

I think it's better. FRENCH CONNECTION is arguably more visceral, but it's also pretty repetitive.

• Like 2

I think it's better. FRENCH CONNECTION is arguably more visceral, but it's also pretty repetitive.

While watching it, I'd completely forgotten how long the chase lasted. Just mad creativity from when they toss the man with the briefcase in the car until the group of guys stroll past with reggae blaring on a boombox.

I've said it here before and wholly understand why Friedkin's an acquired taste. But, man, I love that he totally goes for broke with just about every film he makes. Results in some heinous misfires. Also results in some unreal, chaotic brilliance. He's the epitome of the 1970s American filmmaker. Angry, visceral and relentless.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

IIRC, Friedkin himself said before shooting that if the car chase wasn't gonna be better than the one in The French Connection, the whole movie wasn't worth making. I agree that it ended up being better. 

• Like 1