Cmasterclay

Film Festivals 2015

If it seems like people are loving a movie I think you ought to put your vitriol on hold until you see it. I know I've had movies surprise me before.

I'm not stupid lol. I will definitely see a movie that I'm not too excited about if people who's opinions I respect dig it.

I'm just not convinced Black Mass is getting that great of reviews and Kris Taplesy rave isn't going to sway my opinion on the film.

Regardless, I'll see it when I'm back home because I am not in Toronto.

PS. Brooklyn isn't getting a best picture nod.

Great to see Demolition carry on the TIFF tradition of shitty opening night movies!

Uh, it is getting pretty good ink. Maybe a little polarizing, but I'm not getting an "atrocity" vibe from it all. Will be in the 70s on metacritic.

Recap:

Cemetery of Splendour- Fantastic, woozy cinema. Will be tiring for some, but totally genius with great thematic depth.

45 Years- An ACTORS movie but a really great look in a relationship told with new perspective. Rampling was fantastic and the end is heartbreaking.

Son of Saul- Words are almost too slight to describe. Completely visceral and harrowing. The first sequence is the most intense sequence I've ever seen on film I think.

Where To Invade Next- Really fun and insightful documentary. Very liberal, be warned.

Uh, it is getting pretty good ink. Maybe a little polarizing, but I'm not getting an "atrocity" vibe from it all. Will be in the 70s on metacritic.

Recap:

Cemetery of Splendour- Fantastic, woozy cinema. Will be tiring for some, but totally genius with great thematic depth.

45 Years- An ACTORS movie but a really great look in a relationship told with new perspective. Rampling was fantastic and the end is heartbreaking.

Son of Saul- Words are almost too slight to describe. Completely visceral and harrowing. The first sequence is the most intense sequence I've ever seen on film I think.

Where To Invade Next- Really fun and insightful documentary. Very liberal, be warned.

Huh, everything I read before bed says that Jake G is strong but the rest of the movie is muddled and cheesy. But maybe it changed over night! At least it isn't Fifth Est./Judge level bad. 

Great to see the near universal praise for the Martian (or the Mahtian, if Damon is really still reppin Boston). Today we also get the world premiers of Our Brand is Crisis and I Saw the Light. Both could be interesting contenders, but I have my doubts (though Hiddleston might nail it). Tomorrow we get Truth and Trumbo. Sunday we get Freeheld and the Program. Let's get it!

After two days of TIFF I am inclined to say:

1. Youth 4/4

2. Son of Saul 3.5/4

3. Cemetery of Splendour 3.5/4

4. 45 Years 3.5/4

5. Where to Invade Next 3/4

6. The Treasure 3/4

7. Our Brand is Crisis 2.5/4

8. Demolition 1.5/4

As far as Oscar chances go I see the Sorrentino and Son of Saul picking up big nominations. I think Bullock and Rampling both have a shot at a BA nod, but only one of them might get it. I'm also inclined to think if SPC moved Demolition it could get Gyllehaal a nom. He is so good and the actor race is so thin I think he could over come the shitty film.

Today I am seeing Dheepan, I Saw The Light, The Lobster, The Danish Girl and Maggie's Plan.

youth can get a nom. or maybe indies circuit awards only.

son of saul seems a very indie circuit type of movie as well, best foreign oscars.

apparently it is brilliant Tstechnij, 9.4/10 ave rating on rt, son of saul.

Edited by Halba

Apparently I Saw the Light is kinda hot garbage. Not too surprised. Hiddles is getting solid notices, though. Also, apparently the Gavin Hood drone movie with Aaron Paul and Helen Mirren, which I fully expected to suck, is pretty damn good.

Excited to hear about Truth today. Don't think Trumbo is much of a contender, but we shall see. 

Hated The Danish Girl and I've been its biggest advocater. Some will like it a lot and it's art direction is fantastic.

That being said it in with:

Best Picture

Best Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Production Design

Best Costum Design

Possibly

Best Hair and Makeup

Best Score

Best Cinematography

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Editinf.

It'll get six or seven noms. Might win Production Design or Costume Design. Vikander has a fighting chance.

I didn't like Redmayne all too much in this.

Edited by TStechnij

Hated The Danish Girl and I've been its biggest advocater. Some will like it a lot and it's art direction is fantastic.

That being said it in with:

Best Picture

Best Actor

thats optimistic. the field is very competitive this year, and i doubt its going to get best actor nom with only 5 choices allowed in that category

Yeah, this is easily the weakest Best Actor year since the Forest Whitaker one. I think Caine/Depp/DiCaprio/Fassbender/Redmayne is pretty much it as far as the line-up is concerned and I won't be surprised if we end up seeing those same 5 people at every awards show.

Toronto has delivered nothing but non-starters this year (except for The Martian? But no one expects that to make a play for anything beyond techs). Very disappointed in Our Brand Is Crisis.

Edited by filmlover

Is it me..or does TIFF suck this year?

Why am I hearing zero Best Pic buzz for any film?

So far seems Steve J, Spotlight are the only 2 films with real buzz + Beasts.

So it seems Joy and the revenant are the only real bets for BP. If they suck then the Oscar will probably go to spotlight or as i expect: steve jobs (unless Joy is amazing and DOR finally wins and sweeps)

Is it me..or does TIFF suck this year?

Why am I hearing zero Best Pic buzz for any film?

So far seems Steve J, Spotlight are the only 2 films with real buzz + Beasts.

So it seems Joy and the revenant are the only real bets for BP. If they suck then the Oscar will probably go to spotlight or as i expect: steve jobs (unless Joy is amazing and DOR finally wins and sweeps)

Because most of the movies premiering there are films that had minimal buzz in the first place (and as it turns out, for good reason). Most of the main hitters (ala Joy, The Revenant, etc.) won't be ready until November at the earliest.

Edited by filmlover

How many movies even premiered there?

From all the movies with scores now on MC and RT, only the Martian is new and Our Brand is Crisis.

The Danish Girl, Steve Jobs, Black Mass, Room, Beasts of No Nation, Suffragette, Spotlight etc all seem to have registered after Telluride. 

Actually pretty much every wide release potential awards flick from now until November has premiered.

In December there's only Concussion, Snowden, the Revenant, Joy and the Hateful Eight left- all of which premiere for Christmas.

Oh, there's also In the Heart of the Sea, but since it was already done for March and they haven't premiered it yet, safe to say it's out of contention.