Cmasterclay

Film Festivals 2015

It's that time of year again. Venice starts today, Telluride starts on Friday, Toronto starts next week, and New York starts at the end of the month. Venice kicked off already with Everest, which is getting decently strong reviews but not Best Picture worthy ones. The next few days at Venice are packed, so this could be a good place to discuss them. Everest today, Spotlight and Beasts of No Nation Tomorrow, Black Mass Friday, Danish Girl Saturday, and A Bigger Splash Sunday- all world premiers. Should be good. Awards season is officially in gear. 

• Like 1

Big news out of Venice so far is that both Beasts of No Nation and Spotlight are GREAT, especially the former. Both will get serious looks come award-season, if this is any early indication. Excited for Black Mass tomorrow, the studio is incredibly confident in it, which is usually a great sign. 

The full lineup for Telluride (this weekend!) has been fully announced. In addition to being the American premiers of big contenders like Beast, Black Mass, Spotlight, Son of Saul, 45 Years, and especially Carol, it is also the world premiere of Steve Jobs (obviously a huge contended), Suffragette (ditto), and the Room (Brie Larson is apparently a big time player in Best Actress for this). It's the most exciting time of the year! Here's the full line up: http://deadline.com/2015/09/telluride-film-festival-2015-lineup-carol-michael-keaton-rooney-mara-1201513617/

Also at Telluride: Rooney Mara is getting a special tribute. LOL love Mara but giving her a tribute of any kind this early in her career (no one even knew who she was 5 years ago!) seems insanely premature.

She's coming for all of you. The Maracopalypse is here.

• Like 1

but why would anyone want movies they haven't seen to fail?

Because I don't like the cast, director, campaigning strategy, aesthetic of the stills/trailer, genericism, promotional materials, or maybe disinterest in the subject? I don't have to justify not wanting something to do well( we all do it and it is completely valid.

For example, despite being a huge feminist, I didn't want Suffragette to do well because I'm apathetic towards Mulligan and it looks like this year's Imitation Game.

I also dont want to see Depp in contention this season because I strongly dislike his filmography and think there are much more inspired choices.

The Room doesn't seem like a movie the Academy would go for.

I don't know. It is getting capital R raves. I feel like the critics could push it in. Just by mentioning the Oscars, it puts it in a nice perspective and give the Academy something to look for.

This just may be the festival darling with Beasts of No Nation and Anomalisa.

Because I don't like the cast, director, campaigning strategy, aesthetic of the stills/trailer, genericism, promotional materials, or maybe disinterest in the subject? I don't have to justify not wanting something to do well( we all do it and it is completely valid.

For example, despite being a huge feminist, I didn't want Suffragette to do well because I'm apathetic towards Mulligan and it looks like this year's Imitation Game.

I also dont want to see Depp in contention this season because I strongly dislike his filmography and think there are much more inspired choices.

If it seems like people are loving a movie I think you ought to put your vitriol on hold until you see it. I know I've had movies surprise me before.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1