Cmasterclay

Film Festivals 2015

Actually pretty much every wide release potential awards flick from now until November has premiered.

In December there's only Concussion, Snowden, the Revenant, Joy and the Hateful Eight left- all of which premiere for Christmas.

Oh, there's also In the Heart of the Sea, but since it was already done for March and they haven't premiered it yet, safe to say it's out of contention.

Bridge of Spies, By the Sea, Burnt, and the Walk haven't been seen yet. In the Heart of the Sea was moved so it could contend for awards and it could easily premiere at AFI or as the secret film of NYFF. Miles Ahead is supposed to be great and it hasn't been seen yet, same with Genius, though both could go 2016. 

Yeah, Burnt has been troubled for a while now (strongly hinted at given that the film underwent a title change after marketing materials were already released). Poor BCoop, his post-American Sniper year has been pretty rough.

Gonna be a very quiet awards season if contenders continue to drop like flies.

Jeff Wells on "The Danish Girl"

In a phrase, The Danish Girl has been good-tasted to death. It’s glides and waltzes attractively along the proverbial dance floor, but there’s a whole world outside the dance floor that it doesn’t acknowledge much less step into. After it ended I had a strange urge to want to go out to a strip club and get a lap dance, and I’ve never had a lap dance in my life. It also made me want to snort cocaine, and I haven’t touched the stuff in 30 years.

I still have 10 films to see, but here is my current inclination.

http://letterboxd.com/tstechnij/list/tiff40-ranked

People have been calling Spotlight the omly impressive American film, which I just can't agree with. It is a serviceable thriller. A solid 3/4.

Arabian Nights collectively is a masterpiece in every since of the word. Probably in my personal top ten ever.

I haven't seen any other Sorrentino or Davies, but I adored Youth and Sunset song. I'd call them both masterpieces despite their divisiveness. 3.5/4

Son of Saul is so unbelievably real and just absolutely unique filmmaking. One of the most shocking and heart breaking films I've ever seen. Need to see it again to truly access. 3.5/4

The Meddler is the best straight comedy I've ever seen. Uproariously funny and effectively emotional. 3.5/4

The rest of my 3.5/4s are Desde Álla, Francofonia, Cemetery of Splendour, Anomalisa, Room, The Wait, and 45 Years

• Like 1