Shawn Robbins

Box Office Theory: Favorite Films of 2011

• Founder / Operator

I was figuring that omission might be a controversial one.Admittedly, I need/want to see it again. I enjoyed certain aspects of it, but it just didn't grab me quite enough to consider it among my favorites (but I'll certainly agree its one of the best made films of the year from a technical standpoint). :)

50/50 :wub:Good list, Shawn. You're more of a blockbuster kinda guy so I wasn't expecting to see this littered with the indie/critical favorites, but the most shocking omission IMO... where's DRIVE? :huh:edit- I see, you haven't seen it yet. I guarantee it will be on your revised list ;)

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

Your headlines need help :PIn school for the last week I've been ignoring the rest of the newspaper's layout trying to think of a headline for my article about TGWTDT, lol. I wanted it to be "Rape, nudity, and revenge: the story of a girl" but that's obviously not gonna fly. So my friends and I thought of using four words, revenge, assault, power, and exploitation, which spells rape xD

• Founder / Operator

50/50 :wub:Good list, Shawn. You're more of a blockbuster kinda guy so I wasn't expecting to see this littered with the indie/critical favorites, but the most shocking omission IMO... where's DRIVE? :huh:edit- I see, you haven't seen it yet. I guarantee it will be on your revised list ;)

Honestly, I do love indie flicks. I just tend to find they have less re-watchability with me than more mainstream films. If I were a making a list of what I considered to be the all-around "best" films of the year ... well, at least half of my current list wouldn't be on there. My issue with that is that "best" is very subjective, so I decided to stick with "personal favorites" this time around.

• Founder / Operator

Your headlines need help :PIn school for the last week I've been ignoring the rest of the newspaper's layout trying to think of a headline for my article about TGWTDT, lol. I wanted it to be "Rape, nudity, and revenge: the story of a girl" but that's obviously not gonna fly. So my friends and I thought of using four words, revenge, assault, power, and exploitation, which spells rape xD

Brilliant. :lol:

You may have talked me into seeing We Bought a Zoo, Shawn. It's also the only movie on your list I haven't seen.

I agree with the love for Moneyball, 50/50, Hugo, Muppets and the like. The rest of your list is filled with relative disappointments for me (Potter, Ides, Warrior, Horrible Bosses, Super 8), though I did like Puss in Boots a lot- way, way more than I would have expected.

• Founder / Operator

Also Contagion, Midnight in Paris, and a lot more movies are missing :P

Was disappointed with Contagion. Haven't gotten around to seeing MiP yet, either. No excuse for that one -- I'm just not an Allen fan, so I keep pushing it off even though its at Redbox. Will probably watch this weekend.

• Founder / Operator

Hopefully I'll have more time to travel further and see those kinds of films this year. We don't exactly get easy access to small awards/indie films very easily in Nashville -- not as quickly as I'd like, anyway. :lol:One theater does cater more to that, but I don't get a chance to get over there very often. Plus, I'm picky about the conditions with which I see any kind of movie -- even when its an arthouse flick.

Edited by ShawnMR