Taylor

Sherlock Gnomes | March 23 2018 | Gnomeo and Juliet sequel. Johnny Depp will voice lead character. McAvoy and Blunt will return.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I also love how dead-eyed the characters in the TSOW poster are.

The critic quotes in I, Gnome's poster standout :hahaha:

It's amazing how The Post's has Blunt and McAvoy's names but none of the others do :hahaha: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The critic quotes in I, Gnome's poster standout :hahaha:

It's amazing how The Post's has Blunt and McAvoy's names but none of the others do :hahaha: 

I'm surprised they didn't go with "Gnomefather." It's such an easy pun.

• Like 1

I just realized something: Sherlock Gnomes is practically guaranteed to be the highest-grossing fully-animated movie of the year until The Incredibles 2 comes out. Heck, it could make as little as $20M DOM and still have a chance at that considering its competition (Early Man, Isle Of Dogs, Duck Duck Goose, Sgt. Stubby). 

I think this will also be the first year since 2007 where no animated movie makes over $100M in the first four months of the year. And the first year since 2004 where one didn't even come close to $100M. I know that doesn't mean much, but I thought it was kind of interesting (and may end up helping The Incredibles 2 even more when it's released). 

Edited by Blipsy

1 hour ago, Blipsy said:

I just realized something: Sherlock Gnomes is practically guaranteed to be the highest-grossing fully-animated movie of the year until The Incredibles 2 comes out. Heck, it could make as little as $20M DOM and still have a chance at that considering its competition (Early Man, Isle Of Dogs, Duck Duck Goose, Sgt. Stubby). 

I think this will also be the first year since 2007 where no animated movie makes over $100M in the first four months of the year. And the first year since 2004 where one didn't even come close to $100M. I know that doesn't mean much, but I thought it was kind of interesting (and may end up helping The Incredibles 2 even more when it's released). 

I'm willing to bet Isle of Dogs claims that title; Wes Anderson is fresh off what many consider to be the best movie of his career.

Edited by WrathOfHan

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm willing to bet Isle of Dogs claims that title; Wes Anderson is fresh off what many consider to be the best movie of his career.

Looking over Anderson's filmography, you may have a point. I had forgotten how well The Grand Budapest Hotel did. Still, it seems like kind of a longshot to me. Isle Of Dogs looks like it will be way too weird for family audiences, a lot more than Fantastic Mr. Fox. And I think general audiences who liked some of his movies but aren't huge fans of him will also find it too weird, probably not even sure if it's a family movie or not. So, it seems like the movie will really only appeal to big Wes Anderson fans, and people who like more "arthouse" movies. 

Personally, I see Isle Of Dogs doing around $25-30M, and Sherlock doing $35-40. Though Isle Of Dogs looks a million times better, so I'd love to be proven wrong. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Still, Dogs seems like a movie that doesn't have any target audience. In spite of its PG, the art style and weird tone doesn't look like something that would make it especially appealing towards kids. Animation is a hard sell for many adults, while Budapest was live-action, so that will also hurt it when it comes to general audiences. So that basically leaves Wes Anderson fans and not much else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

people nostalgic for the first Gnomeo and Juliet

Is anyone actually nostalgic for the first movie? It was 7 years ago, which makes it extremely delayed for a regular sequel, but too soon for a nostalgic connection. I doubt the 14-year-olds who saw the first one when they were 7 have much interest in this. Especially since I doubt most people even remember the first movie, so this isn't a case like the Pixar sequels. 

And the movie was first announced a year after the first one. So yeah, this was just supposed to be a "regular sequel" that kept getting delayed, because I guess they realized nobody was that interested. 

• Like 1

They have been smart in the sense to not really advertise this in any way as a sequel. All of the first film's audience will be far too old to want anything to do with this, and lol at the first even being capable of generating "nostalgia." So yeah, they're smart to basically hide its sequel status in the marketing. 

• Like 5