chasmmi

Winter SOTM 6: The Oscars: Episode 1 - D/L Thursday 10th December 11:59pm

Right, with the Oscars' Nomination period falling within game time for the first time, this is a brand new question style for the game and thus worthy of 2 weeks' thinking time.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS QUESTION IS ACTUALLY QUITE A SIMPLE CONCEPT, HOWEVER THE SCORING WILL MAKE THIS FEEL LIKE A MUCH BIGGER MINDF*** THAN IT ACTUALLY IS. I'M NOT SAYING SCORING POINTS WILL BE EASY, JUST THAT WHAT IS ABOUT TO BE ASKED OF YOU SHOULD HOPEFULLY BE EASY TO FOLLOW :)

This question will concern the following Oscar categories

BEST PICTURE - 5000

BEST DIRECTOR - 5000

BEST ACTOR - 4000

BEST ACTRESS - 4000

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - 3000

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - 3000

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - 2000

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - 2000

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE - 2000

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - 1000

BEST SONG - 1000

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE - 1000

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS - 1000

BEST MAKE UP - 1000

Your task is to pick as many eligible films (I'll explain what is eligible at the end) as you wish. If that film gets nominated for any of the above Oscars, then you win the points that category is worth.

E.G: If You choose Jem and the Holograms and it gets nominated for Best Picture and Best Song, you will score 8000 + 1000 = 9000 points total for that choice.

If your chosen film receives no nominations in the above categories, you will lose 15000 points

WAIT THERE IS MORE!!!!

If you are feeling ambitious you can predict exact categories for a film (e.g. Rock the Kasbah: Best Make and Best Actor). If you do this and EVERY predicted category receives a nomination you will score double points for 1 category chosen, triple for 2-3, and quadruple for 4 or more!! 

However if you get even 1 category incorrect, you will lose 15000 points + additional losses equal to triple the categories' values. You must get everything correct to win big here (as it is possible to win huge).

So you want to know what films are eligible?

The answer is anything released since the start of game up until the SOTM deadline (I will consider Heart of the Sea to be a Thursday preview release and thus eligible so therefore anything that was a new release in the USA between Bridge of Spies/goosebumps etc up until In the Heart of the Sea.

Deadline is Thursday December 10th at 11:59pm

Abstain will win you 5000 points

Not answering anything in thread will lose you 5000 points

Mistakenly picking an ineligible film will just result in that film scoring the player zero regardless of its Oscar Performance

I will give some example potential answers in the post below to help clarify things. I know this is a bit insane :D

• Like 1

Here are some potential example predictions (I am deliberately using ineligible films so not to give away my own plans ;) ):

These are the Oscar Results for eligible films:

Avatar - Best Picture, Best Song

Jaws - Best Song, Best make Up, Best Actress in a drowning role

Casablanca - Best Actor, Best Song, Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actress
Titanic - Best Actor

Person A predicted:

Jaws - Best song, Best Make up

Gremlins 2

SO HE SCORES:

Avatar (Best Picture 5000, Best Song 1000,) 6000 POINTS

Jaws - Best song (1000 X 3), Best Make up (1000 X 3) 6000 POINTS (triple points for 2-3 categories)

Gremlins 2 -15000 (not nominated)

Total - minus 3000 points

Person B predicted:

Jaws - Best Song

Titanic - Best Actor

Casablanca - Best Special Effects

SO HE SCORES:

Avatar - Best Picture (5000 x 2) 10000 points

Jaws - Best Song (1000 x 2) 2000 points

Titanic - Best Actor (4000 x 2) 8000 points

Casablanca - Best Special Effects -15000 - (1000 x 3) lose 18000 points

TOTAL: 2000 POINTS

Person C Predicted:

Batman

Casablanca - Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Song, Best Director, Best Actress

SO HE SCORES:

Batman -15000 (not nominated)

Casablanca - Best Picture (5000 x 4) Best Actor (4000 x 4), Best Song (1000 x 4), Best Director (5000 x 4), Best Actress (4000 x 4) 76,000 points (quadruple bonus for 4 or more categories)

TOTAL: 61,000 points

Person D Predicted: 

Casablanca - Best Actor, Best Song, Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Score

SO HE SCORES:

Casablanca - Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Song, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Score - Best Score did not get a nomination so he loses 15000 plus an extra 5000 x 3, 4000 x 3, 1000 x 3, 5000 x 3, 4000 x 3 and 1000 x 3 = minus 75,000

TOTAL: minus 75,000 points

Danish Girl : Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress (or actress if vikander gets into the lead category), Best Makeup

Good Dino: Best Animated Feature

Bridge of Spies - Best Supporting Actor, Best Picture, Original ScreenPlay, Cinematography

Creed 

Spotlight - Best Picture. original Screenplay, Supporting Actor (or just actor if Keaton gets into lead), Director, 

Carol-Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Director, best supporting actress (unless rooney gets nominated into lead), best adapted screenplay

Room - Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay,

Brooklyn - Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best picture

Peanuts - Best Animated feature

The Big Short

Trumbo

P.S I really hope you'd consider the supporting/non-supporting thing. There is still not a clear line between what the academy would consider what, so some I predicted into supporting category may get nominated in the lead category. I just hope you'd consider that since that could result in really REally big losses here for no particular fault of mine.  Especially since I specifically, particularly mentioned the ones that I think may get here-there, beforehand. If I get wrong in this manner for any other movie or category you may definitely cut points. This also means that you may only consider those if and only if the particular actors I mentioned get nominated (or if they don't in either this or lead category) and otherwise just ignore that particular category even if some other actor from the movie gets nominated for the same category. So i am actually specifically predicting the very actors to get nominated in return for just your consideration of the ambiguity that isn't even my fault. :) 

P.P.S, although if the actor I say may get nominated into either lead or supporting category for a particular film gets nominated into either, I hope that would mean I would still get points for it. And lose points only if they don't get into either.

P.P.P.S -Or, in the end, if you don't agree to this then just ignore what I wrote in the brackets and just consider the category i wrote outside to be my predict (except for the danish girl, for it just ignore the supporting actress predict if you don't agree and take it as Danish Girl - Actor, Makeup)

Edited by Infernus

Um, what happens if I predict two categories for a movie and it does get nominated in those and also gets nominated in one another. Eg- 

Predict

Spectre - Best actor and director

Result

Spectre gets nominated for actor, director and  picture.

So will I now get double the points for Actor and director + given points for picture?

Similarly if I predict a category and it doesn't get nominated for it but does get nominated for other categories, will I simply just lose 15000+triple the category's points. Or will I lose those points but also get points for the given category that it did get nominated for and that I didn't specifically predict?

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Um, what happens if I predict two categories for a movie and it does get nominated in those and also gets nominated in one another. Eg- 

Predict

Spectre - Best actor and director

Result

Spectre gets nominated for actor, director and  picture.

So will I now get double the points for Actor and director + given points for picture?

Similarly if I predict a category and it doesn't get nominated for it but does get nominated for other categories, will I simply just lose 15000+triple the category's points. Or will I lose those points but also get points for the given category that it did get nominated for and that I didn't specifically predict?

In the spectre example you only get points for actor and director (but the points are tripled). You don't win/lose anything for extra nominations

In the second example you lose points to the value of the categories you chose, other nominations have no effect.

If you choose to be specific on categories, then you reduce that films influence on you to just those categories and no others

• Like 3

Darn it, The Revenant and Joy were my favourites. Is Steve Jobs eligible? I know it wasn't counted for domestic 15, so I'm assuming no. 

Room

Spotlight - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay

Bridge of Spies

Carol

The Danish Girl

Brooklyn

The Big Short

Edited by Exxdee

41 minutes ago, Exxdee said:

Darn it, The Revenant and Joy were my favourites. Is Steve Jobs eligible? I know it wasn't counted for domestic 15, so I'm assuming no. 

Room

Spotlight - Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay

Bridge of Spies

Carol

The Danish Girl

Brooklyn

The Big Short

yeah, No Jobs, Martian, Revenant, Hateful 8, Star Wars, Not even Pan is eligible :(

Spotlight - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay

Carol - Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay

Room - Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay

The Danish Girl - Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Makeup

The Peanuts Movie - Best Animated Feature

Spectre - Best Song

Creed - Best Supporting Actor

Brooklyn - Best Actress

Bridge of Spies - Best Supporting Actor

The Big Short

Edited by MovieMan89

49 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

In the spectre example you only get points for actor and director (but the points are tripled). You don't win/lose anything for extra nominations

In the second example you lose points to the value of the categories you chose, other nominations have no effect.

If you choose to be specific on categories, then you reduce that films influence on you to just those categories and no others

Hmm. Allright, I think I got it now. Thanx for clearing it up. This does make it even more twisted and thus even more interesting. Picking categories has quite some cons associated with it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Exxdee said:

Room

Spotlight - Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay

Bridge of Spies

Carol

The Danish Girl

Brooklyn

The Big Short

Wait, Jobs wasn't eligible for the top 15? What happens to those who picked it?

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

Wait, Jobs wasn't eligible for the top 15? What happens to those who picked it?

Well, it isn't going to make the top 15, so you lose full points on it. Even if it did, it wouldn't have counted and you still lose all points like if you had The Martian in your top 15. Jobs was platform released a week before the game started I think, that's why it was ineligible. :/

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Exxdee said:

Well, it isn't going to make the top 15, so you lose full points on it. Even if it did, it wouldn't have counted and you still lose all points like if you had The Martian in your top 15. Jobs was platform released a week before the game started I think, that's why it was ineligible. :/

Hmm. One more question then, what 'full points'?

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

Hmm. One more question then, what 'full points'?

Well, you get points for the gross and placements. The big points are if you hit 13/15 in the top 15, you get 500,000 bonus points. If you want more in-depth info, look at Chas's main post on the main thread (box office discussion). I got confused too in the beginning =)

Edited by Exxdee

3 hours ago, Exxdee said:

Well, you get points for the gross and placements. The big points are if you hit 13/15 in the top 15, you get 500,000 bonus points. If you want more in-depth info, look at Chas's main post on the main thread (box office discussion). I got confused too in the beginning =)

No, no I know all that. What I meant was - what points would I lose? Is there a penalty for including an ineligible film? Will I still be penalized for being more than 40m away from its final gross? Or will my 14th place simply be considered as empty and I wouldn't lose any points but simply lose out on getting points on that one and the additional bonuses that it affects. I don't think there was anything related to this in the Main Post.

13 minutes ago, Infernus said:

No, no I know all that. What I meant was - what points would I lose? Is there a penalty for including an ineligible film? Will I still be penalized for being more than 40m away from its final gross? Or will my 14th place simply be considered as empty and I wouldn't lose any points but simply lose out on getting points on that one and the additional bonuses that it affects. I don't think there was anything related to this in the Main Post.

You will lose the 10000 points that you'd lose for an incorrect guess, but you won't lose any gross related points. So essentially its just 10000 points lost.

(Which to be fair is a better scenario than if I was to declare that I'll allow Jobs to be eligible for the game :P )

• Like 1