Grade It:  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

If I were a Rottn Tomatoes critic, I may lean ever so slightly "fresh". Not a great movie by any means, but it's quite entertaining and the first act is straight up great. Second act drags while still keeping you hooked. Third act is complete turn your brain off action. Seriously, there are soooo many plot holes in the third act, but at the same time, the action and effects and story potential are still pretty good.

6/10 C+

This wasn't too good.

For once I completely agree with the critics. They took out a lot of greatness from the book (which was much more suspenseful) and left in the parts that the fans didn't like, such as the excessively detailed narration and Evan being a creepy stalker. I really didn't like how they crammed the first four waves into such a short time. In the book it took over thirty chapters to get to the fifth wave. The relationship between Cassie and Ben was also barely touched upon in the movie, kicking out the whole love triangle aspect of the book and discarding an essential part of Ben's character. Why was this movie less than 2 hours long?

I enjoyed the acting though, especially Liev Schreiber as Col. Vosch.

62/100 - mid-range B-

Edited by department store basement

My hope is with the box office failure of The 5th Wave and lackluster returns for The Divergent Series: Allegiant and Maze Runner: Scorch Trials (though the latter did fine business overseas), that these YA adaptations will come to a stop.

This movie wasn't terrible but it didn't need to exist. The story was ho-hum (at best) and it seemed to be haphazardly stitched together. On the plus side, Chloe Grace Moretz probably was the best thing about it and I was more interested in her story than the side-plot with the military.

Liev Schreiber meanwhile was vastly underutilized but fulfilled the role of having an adult name actor in a villainy character (see: Patricia Clarkson in Maze Runner, Julianne Moore/Donald Sutherland in Hunger Games and Kate Winslet/Naomi Watts in Divergent).

**½/*****, (C, 4.9/10, 2/4)