BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

I think I figured out why AFI had Zootopia on their list.

They usually have some populist choice for the year. Notable ones include Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Dark Knight RisesThe Dark Knight, King Kong and Spider-Man 2. Only year without a blockbuster choice seems to be 2011, which makes sense because that year sucked balls and Harry Potter isn't even American.

Anyways, Zootopia is the only movie on the 2016 list that made over $150m dom. Best pick for a populist nod.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Boston Online Film Critics Association:

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS

http://bofca.com/2016-bofca-awards/

But this isn't on your list, @Jason

Turns out BOFCA has only been awarding films since 2012, so there isn't much of a history to examine and is probably the reason why it doesn't have a dedicated Wikipedia article for its Animated Feature award yet. Anyway, looked it up, it has awarded ParaNorman, Frozen/The Wind Rises (tie), The Lego Movie, and Inside Out. Kubo is generally what I am expecting from any film critics association that has awarded both ParaNorman and The Wind Rises. The exception is the Toronto Film Critics Association, I think Kubo might be too mainstream for them. :lol: (The last year that they chose a film favoured by the majority of organizations in my sample was 2008.)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Quite surprising. The last time this award went to the Disney front-runner was in 2008, with WALL-E.

Yes. It's also the first time that the TFCA has awarded a WDAS film, the previous Disney-distributed films that they have awarded were either Pixar (Nemo, Ratatouille, WALL-E ) or Ghibli (The Wind Rises ).

12 hours ago, Jason said:

The exception is the Toronto Film Critics Association, I think Kubo might be too mainstream for them. :lol: (The last year that they chose a film favoured by the majority of organizations in my sample was 2008.)

Well, they didn't pick Kubo:lol::ph34r:

33 minutes ago, lolifofo said:

hipsters...

Oh, stop scoffing. This means that four different movies have won critics' awards for Best Animated Feature.

Kubo and the Two Strings, Zootopia, Your Name and The Red Turtle all have bragging rights.

I have to wonder if the Los Angeles critics were the only ones to see Your Name, though. Surely Funimation was smart enough to have critics screenings outside of Los Angeles...

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2016/12/11/critics-groups-announcing-today-updating-boston-toronto-new-york-online/

Boston Society of Film Critics:

Best Animated Feature: Tower

Not really familiar with this one.

It's kind of like an animated documentary about the University of Texas massacre. Quasi-animated.

Edited by cannastop

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I have to wonder if the Los Angeles critics were the only ones to see Your Name, though. Surely Funimation was smart enough to have critics screenings outside of Los Angeles...

You might be asking a lot of Funimation, there. I'm going to maintain that the biggest hurdle for YN getting a nomination besides the already packed year is that it's not being distributed by GKIDS.

I'm not convinced that the reason why many GKIDS films have been receiving nominations is because of their ability to campaign for a nomination. Rather, I think the reason is because they've been making an effort to secure the distribution rights to films that would be in a strong position to receive a nomination on their own merits alone.

Critical reception is easily the strongest predictor of which films are nominated, with the result that in most years (at least since 2005) none of the submitted films that do not receive a nomination have a significantly higher average RT rating than any of the nominees.

Of the six GKIDS-distributed films that have received a nomination, five of them could be expected to do so just on the basis of critical reception. The sixth, A Cat in Paris (2011), has an average rating that is lower than Winnie the Pooh and Arthur Christmas but with only borderline significance. Overall, the pattern of nominations received by GKIDS films appears to fit the pattern for films from other distributors.

I made a graph (technically a scatterplot, although it's not being used that way) that shows all of the submitted films for each year as blue diamonds, with red circles around the nominated films, and a larger golden circle around winners (just for interest). Films with a significantly higher average rating than the weakest film of that year (possible "upsets") are shown with black circles. GKIDS films are shown with a purple cross.

qWyFUHg.png

Note that there are sometimes multiple films with the same average rating, I made the symbols partially transparent to make this apparent by the presence of a darker symbol.

Edited by Jason
wrong colour description

10 hours ago, cannastop said:

Oh, stop scoffing. This means that four different movies have won critics' awards for Best Animated Feature.

Kubo and the Two Strings, Zootopia, Your Name and The Red Turtle all have bragging rights.

Funimation smart.... good one :rofl:

They only screened it in LA.

• Like 1

This is definetely a very intresting race. I have to say I enjoyed Zootopia, Kubo and Moana the most out of this year. The one that I liked the least out of those was probably Zootopia. The techincal aspects were excellent and overall it was a great animation but at some points I had the feeling that it was trying too much with the acceptance message.... I got a little tired at some point. I would give it an 8/10..Overall, I don't know if it's just me but although those new animations are obviously visually stunning, I can never like them as much as the disney renaisance era or some early 00's pixar movies. Can you feel me?

Inside Out came the closest but still...(!!!)