grey ghost

What's the benchmark for WWW or WWR threads?

I feel like Deadpool really deserved a What Went Right thread.

Especially since people have attributed the success to simply an R rating or because it's an "anti-superhero" movie.

So what's the benchmark for WWW or WWR threads? How much does a movie need to fall above or below expectations?

Our general policy is a movie needs to significantly outperform (or underperform) almost all expectations, especially studio projections/predictions just before the opening. By "significantly", something +/- 25% of the studio's number. So, for example, ULTRON coming in with a 191m OW isn't worthy of a WWW thread. If WB says they're expecting a 130-140m OW for BVS, and it does 128m OW, that wouldn't count either.

However, as a counter-example, DEADPOOL is a great choice for a WWR thread, and if you'd like to start one, that's fine. Our main goal with any approved WWW/WWR threads is: will it drive good and interesting discussion, especially above and beyond what might be talked about in the movie's main thread?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Our general policy is a movie needs to significantly outperform (or underperform) almost all expectations, especially studio projections/predictions just before the opening. By "significantly", something +/- 25% of the studio's number. So, for example, ULTRON coming in with a 191m OW isn't worthy of a WWW thread. If WB says they're expecting a 130-140m OW for BVS, and it does 128m OW, that wouldn't count either.

However, as a counter-example, DEADPOOL is a great choice for a WWR thread, and if you'd like to start one, that's fine. Our main goal with any approved WWW/WWR threads is: will it drive good and interesting discussion, especially above and beyond what might be talked about in the movie's main thread?

A Deadpool WWR thread was started on OW and got locked quickly though

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

A Deadpool WWR thread was started on OW and got locked quickly though

I think they have to be approved before creation(?) otherwise people will just start WWW/R threads for anything they find disappointing.

• Like 1

For some reason I find it easier to assess what went right or wrong after a movie's run. Like Zoolander 2 tanking so bad was probably a big surprise when it happened 3 weeks but in retrospect it's obvious that its horrible fate was sealed by the time it opened. I probably have been following this stuff for too long lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

For some reason I find it easier to assess what went right or wrong after a movie's run. Like Zoolander 2 tanking so bad was probably a big surprise when it happened 3 weeks but in retrospect it's obvious that its horrible fate was sealed by the time it opened. I probably have been following this stuff for too long lol.

It's just that WWW and WWR threads generate alot more discussion on OW.