Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

76 members have voted

1. 1. Review The Phantom Menace

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

One of my favorite movies. The imagination in every frame is what every blockbuster should aspire to. It's full of beautiful images and has spectacular action sequences (both Duel of the Fates and the podrace are some of the best I've ever seen in a blockbuster), but more than that it has a freshness and wonder that has been lacking in SW films of late. It focuses on telling a unique and engaging story in the Star Wars universe, rather than on excessive nostalgia or meta commentary. I love the ensemble -- Qui-Gon has always been one of my favorite Jedi, young Anakin has just the right amount of innocence, Padme has the strongest arc in the film going from a naive idealist trusting the Republic to save her to a bold, confident leader who takes her people's fate into her own hands, and Jar-Jar is a fun slapstick character -- plus I've always loved the way his revealing the Gungan army plays into Padme's arc. On the villainous end of things, Gunray is hilariously incompetent while Darth Maul is awell-done mysterious menace, and behind it all is the true "Phantom Menace", Palpatine/Sidious, whose brief role nonetheless leaves a strong impression.

liam neeson GIF by Star Wars

(case in point, this brief action sequence is just so memorable and fun. It allows Jar-Jar to play off the Jedi in hilarious manner ("you overdid it") while showcasing an extremely cool underwater setting. I miss these types of scenes in newer SW films)

padme amidala politics GIF by Star Wars

(the key point in Padme's character arc, one of my favorite scenes in the film. The Coruscant section is oft-derided for being too "talky", but I think it's the strongest section of the film and one of the strongest in the entire saga. It showcases the decadence of the Republic along with Anakin's attachment to his mother. The setting is just beautiful and the scenes have this atmosphere of fading glory that makes them really fun to watch. Of all the saga's sunsets, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon staring out at the Coruscant sunset is probably the most underrated one. The sun is setting on the Republic and the Jedi, and the Coruscant scenes really drive that home. And  midichlorians changed absolutely nothing about who had access to the Force from Return of the Jedi, so...that particular criticism of these scenes is just BS.)

battle droids GIF by Star Wars

(Droidekas are awesome. The entire opening scene on the Trade Federation ship is just awesome. We're transported into an entirely new era, full of wondrous visuals and sounds and DROIDEKAS (did I mention they were awesome?), while we also see two Jedi Knights kicking all kinds of ass)

Other highlights I couldn't find a GIF for:

Anakin leaving his mother. For a film that is supposedly "emotionless", my eyes get pretty watery at that scene. Jake Lloyd and Pernilla August play it perfectly, but what really makes the moment is the powerful rendition of the Force theme.

And somehow I made it through all this typing and I just thought about John Williams now. His score is brilliant and has been deservedly lauded, beyond Duel of the Fates both "Anakin's Theme" and "Augie's Great Municipal Band" are very intelligent compositions, along with the great Indiana Jones-reminiscent Trade Federation theme. More personal favorites of mine are the score when the Royal starfighter escapes Naboo and the Darth Maul motif.

And finally, the most-criticized part of this movie's plot, the supposed focus on "trade disputes". It takes up far less screentime than claimed, but this aspect is one of my favorite things about the film. A saga this huge is kicked off by an event (the taxation of trade routes) that is seemingly so trivial. Very true to life. 

Is this a perfect movie? No, but no movies are perfect. It is, however, a movie that is immersive, interesting, and extremely fun. In the end, that's the goal of any Star Wars film.

happy the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

Grade: 9/10, A

Edited by Menor
  • Thanks 1