WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

Just got back from Warcraft, was what I expected. C+, better than the Hobbit 3. The movie itself is basically fine, it has issues, but what holds it back is just the most uninspired, stone faced, wooden acting, looks like minimal effort in that department. 

Hoping for a Sequel though, I think it will still happen. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Probably more like 130m for worldwide P&A, but then again the distributor probably makes more than 34% of overseas grosses anyway. But yes, I basically agree with you. Most of these mid-range tentpoles only become profitable through ancillary revenue streams. 

It's worth it, though, because they really add value to a studio's library in the long run. 

I'm going to be honest, I just pulled the factoid about "VoD sales not being made public" out of my ass, simply because I've never seen a database of such figures. Is there such a resource, like BOM for box office and The Numbers for home video? Obviously it would have to be limited to a la carte services like Amazon Instant where dollars spent are connected to a specific product, unlike NetFlix where a flat fee gives you access to a library of titles.

Edited by johnboy3434

2 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Just got back from Warcraft, was what I expected. C+, better than the Hobbit 3. The movie itself is basically fine, it has issues, but what holds it back is just the most uninspired, stone faced, wooden acting, looks like minimal effort in that department. 

Hoping for a Sequel though, I think it will still happen. 

Green Jesus is happening no matter what.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belakor said:

lol keep hatin´.

Hate has nothing to do with it (I've never even played a Warcraft game and know nothing about the story). Unless this thing has treetrunk legs, the numbers don't add up to a theatrical sequel.

Edited by johnboy3434

2 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

I'm going to be honest, I just pulled the factoid about "VoD sales not being made public" out of my ass, simply because I've never seen a database of such figures. Is there such a resource, like BOM for box office and The Numbers for home video? Obviously it would have to be limited to a la carte services like Amazon Instant where dollars spent are connected to a specific product, unlike NetFlix where a flat fee gives you access to a library of titles.

Things like OTT, pay TV rights and basic cable rights do pay a huge part as a huge hit are sought after. FX for example is a buyer of blockbuster titles because they play well and repeat well and often are good lead in for original series and they can be paying up to $20m for a blockbuster like Deadpool but the studio will chuck in a few extra title that didn't perform well box office wise as part of the deal and premium cable networks like HBO rely on movies to fill up the schedule too but those are covered by output deals.

• Like 1

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

Hate has nothing to do with it. Unless this thing has treetrunk legs, the numbers don't add up to a theatrical sequel.

I have to say this for the last time: US numbers aren´t that important, specially when the main production company is Chinese (Legendary) and most of the audience is in the OS market.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Things like OTT, pay TV rights and basic cable rights do pay a huge part as a huge hit are sought after. FX for example is a buyer of blockbuster titles because they play well and repeat well and often are good lead in for original series and they can be paying up to $20m for a blockbuster like Deadpool but the studio will chuck in a few extra title that didn't perform well box office wise as part of the deal and premium cable networks like HBO rely on movies to fill up the schedule too but those are covered by output deals.

I appreciate you trying to inform me, but could you maybe invest in some punctuation? People will be a lot more likely to read your posts.

Yesterday was one of the biggest box office days of the year here. Warcraft and Conjuring 2 had INSANE ODs. People just showed up in droves for the night shows (today was a holiday so yesterday Thursday acted like it was Friday). It basically combined the usual OD rush with GA showing up as well. Today it was not as crazy. Afternoon shows were weak and the night shows were below the ones of last night. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Not next movie unless they decide to screw around with the timeline.

They have to, Thrall & Arthas are they biggest characters, now that this movie failed Domestic they know they have to bring them.

Just now, Belakor said:

They have to, Thrall & Arthas are they biggest characters, now that this movie failed Domestic they know they have to bring them.

DOM doesn't matter. Forget about it. If this gets a sequel it will be because of OS/China alone and that is the audience they need to please. 

2 minutes ago, Belakor said:

I have to say this for the last time: US numbers aren´t that important, specially when the main production company is Chinese (Legendary) and most of the audience is in the OS market.

Domestic numbers are certainly important for the co-producer and distributor, especially when they're also covering P&A. They get the best percentage of revenue gross by far. 

But what we all miss (myself included), is that once all expenses are covered, a movie is basically an endless profit stream (no matter how slight). That's why studios are so invested in making all these tentpoles. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Belakor said:

That's gonna be an awkward "25-30 YEARS LATER" opening tag with about 20 minutes of straight exposition explaining all the A to B to C to D that has to happen to get to that point.

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

That's gonna be an awkward "25-30 YEARS LATER" opening tag with about 20 minutes of straight exposition explaining all the A to B to C to D that has to happen to get to that point.

They won't do that. They will adapt Warcraft 2. Travis Fimmel will return.