cannastop

Zootopia 2 | November 26, 2025

Oh, and here's an interesting comment from CEO Iger:

https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q3_fy16_earnings_transcript.pdf

on page 29:

And then of course we have recently with Zootopia had some real success at Disney Animation, which gives us a new franchise to mine.

The creative people at WDAS want a sequel, and the C-Suite wants a sequel. It's coming sooner than later.

• Like 1

I think a sequel will happen, but a series is inevitable. 

Disney Television Animation is running a marathon right now with Milo Murphy's Law, the DuckTales reboot, Tangled (god what a bizarre idea but they need to keep the franchise alive!) and BH6 among their existing series, so a Zootopia TV show is probably back-burner stuff, but it wouldn't shock me if the show debuted in 2019 with a full-on sequel in 2021/2022. The world building of Zootopia is too rich not to explore it in such an in-depth manner. Of course, one wonders how it would connect to the sequel. If they want to address Nick and Judy's relationship (for the record I'd rather them stay friends, but the possible allegorical subtext is probably too rich for Byron especially to ignore), then obviously a show would be a huge lead if that chooses to address that issue. It's pretty easy to surmise that once you let the cat out of the bag that any one of the two may have romantic feelings for the other, then you've played your hand. Unless it pulls a Bojack Horseman and one of the characters is revealed to be asexual, but I disgress!

(I think one of the deleted scenes that heavily hinted towards Nick and Judy being possibly seen as a couple is a huge clue in the direction they would take on this, but again... I disgress...)

Anyways, they have to choose if they're going to do both or just one. And I don't see either of the two not happening. But this could be a fascinating experiment in Disney franchising if the directors choose to build upon the series instead of ignore it like DWA does with their's.

@goldenstate5

I don't think they'll go with a TV show for Zootopia. Shows aren't as lucrative as movies, and it would cheapen the name.

That has never stopped them before

It's likely a pipe dream but it would be cool if they tried for a serial format with multi episode character arcs, not a case of the week as I fear they might

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

That has never stopped them before

It's likely a pipe dream but it would be cool if they tried for a serial format with multi episode character arcs, not a case of the week as I fear they might

Seems to have stopped them with Frozen. It doesn't have a show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Seems to have stopped them with Frozen. It doesn't have a show.

Yep. And the one other film we know is going to have a theatrical sequel, Wreck-It Ralph, also doesn't have a TV show. And a sequel for Tangled has been definitively ruled out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

@goldenstate5

I don't think they'll go with a TV show for Zootopia. Shows aren't as lucrative as movies, and it would cheapen the name.

Yeah, it's a good thing that other Disney films didn't ever become TV show--- oh wait sorry a ton have. Frozen has a TV special coming up, Toy Story has had a few. Tangled has a show, BH6 has a show. In the 90s and 00s these films had TV shows: Little Mermaid, Lion King (now 2!!!), Aladdin, Toy Story, Hercules, Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stitch. Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, Atlantis had a few episodes produced made into DTV movies. (bewilders me that they never did anything with Mulan) One of their most underrated 90s films, A Goofy Movie, is based on the Goof Troop series. 

Snow White, The Jungle Book (2!!!), 101 Dalmatians, Winnie the Pooh (multiple!!!) have all also been made into TV series.

Two of Disney's other huge franchise, Star Wars and Marvel have multiple TV series ongoing. So, I don't think those are cheapening the name, and they're making money. I think if done well, a Zootopia TV series would prove to be very lucrative in addition to a sequel.

There was a Beauty and the Beast TV show? Wow, missed that...

I'm actually surprised that besides Star Darlings and Descendants (yeah.) There's no Disney Animated Webisode things. 3 minute Flash Animated stories with Judy and Nick would be cool.

There are so many damn Star Wars shows currently airing it actually irritates me. But I just ignore them and live my life. Loved the hell out of the Tarzan one though.

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

There are so many damn Star Wars shows currently airing it actually irritates me. But I just ignore them and live my life. Loved the hell out of the Tarzan one though.

Aren't there only 2? One of them is a Lego TV show.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

There wasn't. I don't know if you were being sarcastic, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Me_a_Story_with_Belle

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wow, I had no idea that existed.

More of an anthology series than an actual adaption of Beauty and the Beast, though.

No, but was still using Belle as a selling point, so it's loosely a Beauty and the Beast TV show.

Course the real TV shows were: Beauty and the Beast (1987) and Beauty and the Beast (2012).

Neither were by Disney though.

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

Huh. That is legit news to me. I've even seen that weird Christmas movie but not those. 

For some reason I thought Yoda's Tales and Droid Tales (which I love) were still airing alongside Freemaker and Rebels. 

I loved Droid Tales, but that was just a brief mini thing. I think Yoda does a special every so often. I kind of separate the Lego shows off into Lego, and don't really associate it Star Wars.

Don't like Freemaker though.

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I totally think that a Zootopia 2 would beat Finding Dory domestic and Frozen Worldwide. No one can convince me otherwise.

Make a club as soon as a release date is confirmed and we are one year away from it, it should be a very interesting club lol

• Like 1