cannastop

Zootopia 2 | November 26, 2025

I read this piece online:

Animal Speculation by Joshua Williams

But Judy’s and Nick’s is also a gender-inverted noir love story: the gumshoe detective and her streetwise fox fatale. The fact that they never take the romantic plunge, as their relationship subsides into buddy-cop conventionality, is proof enough that what is at stake here is not the undoing of race but an economized fantasy of racial coexistence.

At first I thought this was merely silly, as if Nick and Judy had to hook up to truly fulfill the movie's theme.

But then I thought: "Wait, Nick didn't have to become a cop! Why does Judy always get what she wants in the end anyways?"

Making them mere co-workers and buddies in the sequel would be pretty boring. Now, they might not have had time for them to fall in love in the first movie, but they really need to step up their game for the sequel. Doesn't literally have to have a falling in love moment, but just inserting a new mystery into the world isn't going be exciting, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I love Zootopia, but that's a little too gutsy for me!

Not totally unreasonable.

Despicable Me: $251,513,985

Despicable Me 2: $368,061,265

Increase of 46.3%

Shrek: $267,665,011

Shrek 2: $441,226,247

Increase of 64.8%

Zootopia: $341,268,248

Zootopia 2: $500,000,000

Increase of 46.5%

No telling what happens in China, but maybe the sequel makes $400m. It's possible in a few years. And if that happens, matching the Overseas-China gross of $445m will add up to $1,345,000,000. That would beat Frozen.

A big risk to this is an economic crisis in Europe or China, in my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

I read this piece online:

Animal Speculation by Joshua Williams

But Judy’s and Nick’s is also a gender-inverted noir love story: the gumshoe detective and her streetwise fox fatale. The fact that they never take the romantic plunge, as their relationship subsides into buddy-cop conventionality, is proof enough that what is at stake here is not the undoing of race but an economized fantasy of racial coexistence.

At first I thought this was merely silly, as if Nick and Judy had to hook up to truly fulfill the movie's theme.

But then I thought: "Wait, Nick didn't have to become a cop! Why does Judy always get what she wants in the end anyways?"

Making them mere co-workers and buddies in the sequel would be pretty boring. Now, they might not have had time for them to fall in love in the first movie, but they really need to step up their game for the sequel. Doesn't literally have to have a falling in love moment, but just inserting a new mystery into the world isn't going be exciting, in my opinion.

I'm still digesting that essay in general, although suffice it to say that it'd be a thread derailment if I were to actually critique it. But regarding the specific point about their relationship staying platonic meaning that Zootopia doesn't truly fulfill its theme is ridiculous, in my opinion. For one thing, opposition to miscegenation isn't how modern racism manifests itself. For another, the speciesist allegory need not be a perfect allegory for racism to get the general idea across that racial prejudice is wrong.

Anyway, it seemed to me that Nick and Judy having an ambiguously platonic relationship was a very fitting ending. (Although it's possible that I'm biased by personal circumstances.) I'm honestly not sure how I feel about whether they should hook up or not on the sequel. I think I could be equally satisfied with either result as long as it's developed well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm still digesting that essay in general, although suffice it to say that it'd be a thread derailment if I were to actually critique it. But regarding the specific point about their relationship staying platonic meaning that Zootopia doesn't truly fulfill its theme is ridiculous, in my opinion. For one thing, opposition to miscegenation isn't how modern racism manifests itself. For another, the speciesist allegory need not be a perfect allegory for racism to get the general idea across that racial prejudice is wrong.

Anyway, it seemed to me that Nick and Judy having an ambiguously platonic relationship was a very fitting ending. (Although it's possible that I'm biased by personal circumstances.) I'm honestly not sure how I feel about whether they should hook up or not on the sequel. I think I could be equally satisfied with either result as long as it's developed well.

Well don't worry about derailing this thread. This movie doesn't even exist yet.

Wanting Judy and Nick to hook up is probably the weakest point in the essay, but I think that actually making Nick a cop runs the risk of getting banal.

13 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not totally unreasonable.

Despicable Me: $251,513,985

Despicable Me 2: $368,061,265

Increase of 46.3%

Shrek: $267,665,011

Shrek 2: $441,226,247

Increase of 64.8%

Zootopia: $341,268,248

Zootopia 2: $500,000,000

Increase of 46.5%

No telling what happens in China, but maybe the sequel makes $400m. It's possible in a few years. And if that happens, matching the Overseas-China gross of $445m will add up to $1,345,000,000. That would beat Frozen.

A big risk to this is an economic crisis in Europe or China, in my opinion.

Oh, i would love to see Zootopia 2 beat Frozen once and for all, if it breaks out bigger than expected. :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well don't worry about derailing this thread. This movie doesn't even exist yet.

Wanting Judy and Nick to hook up is probably the weakest point in the essay, but I think that actually making Nick a cop runs the risk of getting banal.

Well, my biggest issue is not actually the points themselves but the vagueness with which most of them are being expressed. It's been a long time since I've read a political essay outside of those published in the op-ed sections of major newspapers, and likewise I don't generally read art criticism either aside from film reviews published in major newspapers. That being said, I can't recall reading anything with more sentences that could be worthy of mention in a modern rewrite of Orwell's 1946 essay Politics and the English Language. (Which makes the point that political writing is often deliberately vague, so as to appear more agreeable than it really is.)

I doubt anyone is interested to hear me elaborate on that, since the essay didn't receive much comment either here or there. If I were to comment on this any further though, I think it would be most appropriate in the Politics sub-forum. :ph34r:

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Well, my biggest issue is not actually the points themselves but the vagueness with which most of them are being expressed. It's been a long time since I've read a political essay outside of those published in the op-ed sections of major newspapers, and likewise I don't generally read art criticism either aside from film reviews published in major newspapers. That being said, I can't recall reading anything with more sentences that could be worthy of mention in a modern rewrite of Orwell's 1946 essay Politics and the English Language. (Which makes the point that political writing is often deliberately vague, so as to appear more agreeable than it really is.)

I doubt anyone is interested to hear me elaborate on that, since the essay didn't receive much comment either here or there. If I were to comment on this any further though, I think it would be most appropriate in the Politics sub-forum. :ph34r:

I'm curious about what you have to say. And this thread isn't high-stakes anyways.

• Like 2