cannastop

Zootopia 2 | November 26, 2025

With Disney announcing a ton of new release dates today, I got all the more excited for a Zootopia sequel.

Probably going to take a long time, though. I wonder if it's even on the drawing board. Though, if they go with the 6-year gap that Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen have, it's going to be 2022.

Edited by cannastop

On 4/25/2017 at 5:33 PM, cannastop said:

With Disney announcing a ton of new release dates today, I got all the more excited for a Zootopia sequel.

Probably going to take a long time, though. I wonder if it's even on the drawing board. Though, if they go with the 6-year gap that Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen have, it's going to be 2022.

That sounds so far away lol

On 4/25/2017 at 5:33 PM, cannastop said:

It took them a while to announce a Frozen sequel. I could see something similar happening to a Zootopia sequel, maybe. 

On 5/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, Fancyarcher said:

It took them a while to announce a Frozen sequel. I could see something similar happening to a Zootopia sequel, maybe. 

Probably going to take longer than that. They have something scheduled in 2021, and I have a feeling that it's the Lin-Manuel Miranda/Byron Howard project.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Probably going to take longer than that. They have something scheduled in 2021, and I have a feeling that it's the Lin-Manuel Miranda/Byron Howard project.

You waited three weeks to respond to that post. 

Anyway, it's probably the Lin-Manuel Miranda / Bryon Howard film, it seems the most likeliest out of Disney's upcoming projects to be announced soon.

Disney filed for a dismissal of the lawsuit a few weeks ago, don't think anyone posted it in the main Zootopia thread: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/disney-seeks-dismissal-zootopia-copyright-lawsuit-1006641.

I agree with @tribefan695, if they can't get the lawsuit dismissed they'll settle out of court for some undisclosed amount of chump change. If they actually proceed to fight the lawsuit instead of settling it'll be because they are very, very confident of winning.

In any case, I don't think it'll be a factor in whether there's a sequel or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cannastop said:

If there is a Zootopia sequel planned, they'd surely announce it at D23, right?

I think it would have to be far enough along that they were 100% confident of its eventual release. There were unofficial statements by people working on WIR2 that it was in development in 2014 and 2015 but no official announcement until 2016.

P.S. Congrats on winning derby!

• Like 1

THR just posted a more detailed article on the dismissal of the Zootopia lawsuit: Disney Wins Dismissal of 'Zootopia' Copyright Lawsuit (For Now).

Has a link to the full decision as well: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3892334-Zootopia-Order.html

If I understand correctly, this is the final written ruling confirming the earlier tentative decision after the June 26 hearing. It says that a first amended complaint (if any) must be filed by Goldman/Esplanade by July 24.

• Like 1