Allied (2016)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Allied (2016)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So, was Lizzy Caplan's character intended to be a red herring, or did Robby Z just want to throw in a lesbian sister (and girlfriend) just to have one in there?

Because it seemed weird that they had a few cutaways to her or her girlfriend (and Pitt telling Caplan about his wife being a suspected spy) and then absolutely nothing come of it.

• Like 1

This was kinda middle-of-the-road Zemeckis for me. This is definitely a technically beautiful movie, but it doesn't fully succeed as either a thriller or a romance and the climax feels rushed. That said, this is still an entertaining film overall with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard at their most photogenic, although their performances are on different levels: Cotillard is as wonderfully radiant as ever, but I found Pitt's performance to be a tad awkward and, dare I say, amateurish. B-

I quite enjoyed the movie, would give it a solid B or so. Cotillard is great, but Pitt was definitely miscast. Zemeckis did a great job with the direction.

Also, yeah, I totally thought for a minute the lesbian was going to be a spy but that was just a random element of the film.

Is Marianne sincere in her love to Max or does she pretends to go to London as a spy? I think that she seduces him on the orders of the Nazis, but afterwards falls in love with him, maybe against her will. She realizes that she loves him when she understands that her death is inevitability.

Allied is a thrilling watch. The slow-burn thriller is well-directed thanks to Zemeckis' hand behind the camera; this is, by far, his best work since the early 2000s. Pitt gives a typically good performance, but the film naturally belongs to Marion Cotillard, who fantastic in a role that is underwritten at several points in the films. The few action scenes are always enthralling, and the script's twists and turns have great payoff and perfectly move the audience's allegiances around. It's just too bad that the pacing starts feeling off near the end of the film, rushing through important plot points. Despite that, Allied is a period piece that feels refreshingly modern, which is pleasantly surprising coming from an old-school director. C+