Friday the 13th Part 3D

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Friday the 13th 3D

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This movie needs you to completely dispend belief. You have to buy that charactes can't see Jason when he's standing one foot directly ahead and you have to buy that a woman can mistake the 6ft Jason for her short and chubby husband. If you can, there's a lot of fun to be had here.

Well this is where Jason gets his iconic hockey mask so just for that it gets some marks.The 3D was ok for the time. Decent characters again, but as fun as these are, the repeating of the same idea starts to lose a bit of luster on this one.B-

There are very few horror films that are like Halloween ( the first one ) and Nightmare on Elm Street ( the first one ). That is, horror films that not only scare, but have a good story and great direction. Steve Miner is obviously not in the same league as Carpenter and Craven, but what he does manage to do is make an effective sequel that is much scarier than the first and next to the final chapter, it is the best and scariest among all the Fridays.

This film is laughable in parts, especially in terms of continuity with some of the stories that are told by Chris, but having said that, Steve Miner makes a very atmospheric and very tense film.

The film starts off the day after part two ended. We know Jason is still alive because he kills two disgusting people at the beginning that at least establishes Miner's style to come for the rest of the movie. The false scares, the open doors with no one there, the strange noises, the missing props that the character knows she had just a few seconds ago. The beginning is very well done. But again, the continuity and stupidity of movie characters is at all an all time high here. ( A quick example: Harold is about 5'6, rotund and clumsy. His wife calls out his name when she sees a well built figure standing behind her sheets at night. This figure is at least 6 feet or more in height and he looks squared, not pear shaped like her husband Harold. Plus, on the television is the news about the massacre the night before saying that the killer has not been caught. DUUUHHH!! Should this not click into her brain that who she is seeing may be Jason? )

But what is excellent about this film are some of the same elements that made Halloween good. And that is the use of foreground for false scares. There are numerous times when the camera scans the for-ground and you are so sure that Jason is going to show up, and then he doesn't until whammo, someone loses an eye or their life. It is very effective. There are also numerous shots of Jason in the background waiting for his next victim to turn around to see him. And when we see him standing behind one stoner guy, his pure size really makes him menacing. And that mask....

How he gets the mask is one of the great trivia questions in Friday the 13th folklore.

Steve Miner did a masterful job of directing and why he decided to hand the reins over to Joseph Zito for the final chapter is a mystery

As Fridays go, this is one that you can't go wrong with. It also has ( I believe ) one of the five most gruesome and painful deaths in the series. Watch for Andy walking on his hands, it will make you cringe for quite a while.

DVD stuff: The new remastered edition in 3-D is worth seeing. I found the 3-D to be entertaining in some parts and lacklustre in others, but there is some added footage in the deluxe edition. You get to see more of Fox hanging from the barn and in a truly jaw dropping moment, you get to see all of Andy, chopped up after he gets split in two walking on his hands. In the original version, you just see a glimpse of him as his blood drips onto the magazine, but now, you see his blood, his legs severed, and much more. I would say this alone makes the purchase worth it.

• Like 1

LOL this went off the rails, so Jason got his mask from an annoying person he killed, ok. He grew 6 inches? He gained 50 pounds? He shaved his head? All in a day, impressive. Big step down from 1 & 2 in quality. Lets be real these movies aren't so much about character but I cared way less about anyone in this then the last 2. 

D+ (67)

I sent an email to the guy who plays Shelly....he's one of the more successful film attorneys in LA now....and he actually wrote me back saying that I made his day....I'll see if I can find it.... 

Here it is....

om: dan grant [mailto:dandgrant@hotmail.com] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:06 PM
To: larry@zernerlaw.com
Subject: Thank you

I'm watching the Friday the 13th BR and I have always loved your character, Shelly.  He of course is famous for giving Jason his mask.  I have used this trivia question more times than I can recall.  

Friday the 13th is my favourite horror series.  I love the first two Halloweens and Wes Craven's Nightmare on Elm Streets, but there hasn't been a series of horror films as consistently brilliant as Friday the 13th.  IV is my favourite but III is a very close second.  

I enjoyed your stories on the BR and I wanted to thank you for your contribution to the series.  Shelly is a fantastic character and you brought him to life.  I can't explain what it is about horror films, especially Friday the 13th, that appeals to me.  But I do think horror is the toughest genre to perfect.  The great horror films are imo some of the best film ever made.  70's and 80's horror films are for the most part a cut above the new horror films.  

Again, I just wanted to thank you for being a fantastic character and one that has entertained me for almost 30 years.  I'm glad you found success as a lawyer but you will always be Shelly to me.

Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Dan Grant

London, Ontario, Canada 

To: dandgrant@hotmail.com
CC: zernerlaw@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Thank you
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:26:21 -0700

Dan,

Thank you so much.  Your letter made my day.

Larry

ZERNERLAW
Copyright, Trademark and Entertainment Law

1801 Century Park East, Suite 2400
Los Angeles, CA  90067
Tel 
(310) 773-3623
Fax (310 634-1256
Url 
www.ZernerLaw.com

The information contained in this email and its attachments is confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is intended only for the named addressees and may not be disclosed to anyone else without consent from ZernerLaw. If you are not the named addressee you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on the contents of this email and should destroy it immediately. Whilst ZernerLaw takes care to protect its systems from electronic virus attack or other harmful element, the firm gives no warranty that this email message (including any attachments to it) is free of any virus or other harmful matter and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting from the recipient receiving, opening or using it. If you need further information, please contact the originator of this message on (310) 773-3623.

• Like 3

Usually the Friday The 13th movies are nothing perfect but to me 3 and 4 was when the series got really good, and while I will admit the acting isn't great(what do you expect) but there are some likable characters in this entry, and this has some

cool looking practical gore that actually Stan Winston was apart of(but uncredited) of course also this is the one where Jason gets his hockey mask.I also forgot to say I liked the intro music to this in the opening credits. Overall grade:B

• Like 1