The Stingray

Beverly Hills Cop

yeah I can see how this did pretty well.  It's Eddie Murphy pretty much at his heyday and a genuinely good movie.

Still hard to believe that Stallone was actually supposed be the Axel Foley character at first.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:23 PM, 75live said:

yeah I can see how this did pretty well.  It's Eddie Murphy pretty much at his heyday and a genuinely good movie.

Still hard to believe that Stallone was actually supposed be the Axel Foley character at first.

You're kidding!?

22 hours ago, Jiffy said:

You're kidding!?

nope.  It was Stallone's role and he turned it down.  Plus I think he did some script changes and they didn't agree, so Stallone said no because he didn't think he could do the role the way it was written.  

This film being number one for a few weeks in 1984, and the first half of 1985 is amazing! Something that an R-rated film never replicated ever again. Also Eddie Murphy was on the top 5 and top 10 the most in the 80's something that stars wouldn't last as long today, 48 Hrs. Was on the top 10 for 15 weeks! Trading Places was 17 weeks, Beverly Hills Cop was on the top 10 for 28 weeks, The Golden Child was the weak end and only on the top 10 for 9 weeks, Beverly Hills Cop II improved from The Golden Child but was also on the top 10 for 9 weeks, RAW was only 5 weeks,Coming To America was also 9 weeks, and then the crumbling started with Harlem Nights remaining on the top 10 for 5 weeks.

Eddie Murphy was one of the most successful comedians of the 80's that helped bring in audience thanks to SNL, and his hilarious stand-up albums and Party All The Time played on airwaves in 1985. 

So he had SNL, a big hit come out every other year, stand-up, and his albums. Murphy was the big star of the 80's! BHC1 made $$$ because of Murphy and its appeal that we didn't really see that much in 1984(in terms of action films) so it was different, and with Murphy it was spot on fun! The box office was interesting, and if Stallone was in this I bet you the film would've made maybe $50-$55 million in 1984 dollars.