YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Even I'm slightly dissapointed in that Batman number.

There's still a chance it has a really big Saturday. Gets past $65m.

How big we talking?

Edited by YourMother

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Some had it $80n-$100m lol not saying you did but pointing it out.

I think I might have indulged in those fantasies a few months before release. Still, just like Moana, I could see that a mega opening wasn't in the cards once the release date came up.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Won't get any further past 60m though.

Well, the original LEGO dropped by 31.4% on Sat. That would give the sequel ~18.8m, which would be enough to tip it over the edge of 60m

Not sure if that'll happen though. The huge Sat increase was probably repeat views/audiences who were brought in from excellent WOM and novelty

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

The original LEGO Movie increased by 80% over Saturday. Assuming this movie has the same increase...

Friday 15m

Sat 27m

I think being a quasi-sequel/spinoff makes the huge jump a bit more unlikely. I think the 2014 movie also didn't have Thursday previews.

The latest Spongebob movie is probably the best comparison here, and that rose by about 60%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I think I might have indulged in those fantasies a few months before release. Still, just like Moana, I could see that a mega opening wasn't in the cards once the release date came up.

Does release date matter that much though? If the movie has appeal, audiences will come

Ride Along 

Lego Batman OW prediction/projection

$15M Friday

$25M-$27M Saturday (Assuming Lorax/Lego Movie jump)

$17.5M-$18.9M Sunday (assuming average 30% drop for animated films)

($57.5M-$61M OW)

($195.5M-$207M Domestic total)

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

Does release date matter that much though? If the movie has appeal, audiences will come

Ride Along 

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that once the movie was close to release, I could tell there wasn't buzz there, and presales were not knocking it out of the park.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think being a quasi-sequel/spinoff makes the huge jump a bit more unlikely. I think the 2014 movie also didn't have Thursday previews.

The latest Spongebob movie is probably the best comparison here, and that rose by about 60%.

Ofc. However, the newest Spongebob film came out a decade after the original (pent-up demand), and had the style from the newer version of the show. So that was likely an anomaly

Just looked it up, can't believe that made 160m.... Totally forgot that movie existed

Edited by franfar